Wait

Your eyes fluttered open as you felt yourself being lifted by a pair of strong arms. "Newt?" You mumbled, a small wave of confusion sweeping over you. "Hush, love," he whispered softly, "I was going to take you inside. It's about to rain. Is that alright?"
"Mmhm," you smiled into his shoulder, noticing how good he smelt. You closed your eyes, breathing in his sweet scent and remembering the day behind you. You hadn't had that much fun since before the Flares. You had hung out at Malachi's shack all day, talking and laughing and pretending the rest of the world didn't exist. You had connected. After a short mud fight, then a swim in a pond to clean off, you had fallen asleep beneath the setting sun while waiting for your clothes to dry. "Alright, princess," Newt grunted as he opened the door, snapping your focus back to reality, "I'd like to know where I should put you."
"There's a bed in the back room." You mumbled. He carried you to the bed and gently laid you down. After brushing your hair out of your face, he retreated to the doorway. "I'll, uh, I'll sleep on the floor out there," he whispered. "Wake me up if you need me."
You sat up straight. "Oh, Newt, don't do that! You can sleep here in the bed, there's enough room! One of us can put our head at the top, the other at the bottom."
"Are you sure?" He asked.
You nodded. He put his head at the opposite end of the bed from yours, and you both fell fast asleep.

You woke up to sunlight streaming through the window. You knew that you wouldn't be eating unless you got back to the Crank Palace, so you gently shook Newt awake. "Come on!" You groaned, "I don't care how bad the food is at that place, I'm hungry!"
Newt finally sat up, sighing heavily.
"I'm awake!" He said with a yawn. You climbed back down the rope ladder and made your way through the cavernous tunnels. You could smell the Crank Palace's breakfast mystery mush and picked up the pace. You needed to get there before the people who were farther gone. Newt rushed along behind you. Neither of you spoke, both having learned the importance of first come first serve.
When you finally got to the Palace and got breakfast, you went back into the cave to eat. "This place is incredible,
Y/N." Newt breathed. "Why don't you come down here more often?"
"I don't know," You sighed. "I guess it just reminds me of Malachi and my brother." Newt nodded, a pensive expression crossing his face. "You have a way out of here, so why haven't you escaped?" He asked. You shook your head. "I saw what you did with your friends yesterday, I know you already know this. If I'm here, locked up, nobody will get hurt when I go crazy. If I'm here, I can keep a family from being destroyed. I'd rather suffer this place than make someone else do it for me."
Silence fell over you as you sat on the ground, when suddenly Newt pressed his lips to yours. He pulled away quickly, shame in his eyes. "I'm sorry, Y/N, but I couldn't die before doing that. I know you still miss Malachi, and I understand if you hate me now, but our lives are far too short for me to miss any more bloody chances. I'm sorry." He said again, standing to leave. With his words, the walls you'd built around yourself came crumbling down. You leapt to your feet and caught Newt by the wrist. "Wait." You said before smashing your lips against his.

----------------------------------------------
Awwwwww!!!!!! Cuteeeeee! Newt is such an adorable character. I hope you guys liked this chapter, it was really fun to write! Please comment if you enjoyed this, and don't forget to vote and/or follow me! I'll give you a follow-back.
See ya later, Gladers!