30. Dead Roses

June's POV

-

I blinked in disbelief as I registered what my best friend was saying to me at my locker. I stared at the dark-haired girl standing before me, who was carrying a small green box under her arm and shouldering her red backpack on the other.

Addison was wearing an oversized grey sweater, black leggings, and knee-high Nike socks accompanied with similar sports slides. She had her hair down, put a black sports cap hid her face.

You could definitely say that she dressed in stylish comfort today, minus the fact that I watched her casually open up the green box and produce a popsicle out of it. She nonchalantly unwrapped the plastic before stuffing it back into the box, then started to suck on the popsicle in the middle of the high school hallway.

My mouth hung open in embarrassment for her and for me, especially with the fact that I was associating myself with this girl at the moment.

It wasn't even over the fact that she was carrying a popsicle box in the middle of school. It was moreover what she told me before I was about to open my locker.

"Yup, so, you haven't said anything in two minutes," she mumbled in between popsicle licks as she wiggled her eyebrows, "want one? It's honeydew melon flavored, they're bomb."

I shook my head at my friend, "No, I do not want a popsicle," I breathed in a little bit, "But, what the hell did you mean by 'I'm dating Melanie Canon?'" My head was spinning at this new information. It was definitely not possible for such a nice girl like Addy, to date such a notorious slut like Melanie.

I knew they were talking, but I thought Melanie was disinterested in Addison. I didn't know they had a potential to date each other! Plus, if I find out that Melanie is just using Addison...

"I meant that...I'm dating Melanie Canon. She asked me to be her girlfriend last night." She unattractively slobbered over the popsicle, causing me to cringe as I continued to stare at her.

"Yes, I understood that part, but why?"

She bit off a chunk of her popsicle and shrugged, "I really like her..." she mumbled as she finished up her first one and proceeded to grab another one from the box. "You sure you don't want one? We actually got them last night from some Oriental Market downtown."

I tried keeping myself from swatting the popsicle out of her mouth as I shook my head again, "Addison, you know what Melanie's reputation is..."

She cocked a dark eyebrow, "I know, she's proven otherwise. If it makes you feel better, we haven't had sex." My eyes widened in surprise at this new slice of information. It's been a couple weeks since I almost killed Adrienne with a volleyball and was forced to clean the gym with her. Therefore if I was thinking about it right, it's been at least two months since Melanie and Addison have been "talking." The fact that they weren't having sex was actually a downright miracle.

"What? You two haven't had sex?" I blurted out as Addison nodded slowly as she popped the iced treat out of her mouth with an annoying sound.

"Yup. That's what I'm trying to tell you, she actually promised me that she wouldn't try anything for a while," she hesitated, "I thought it was because she wasn't attracted to me, but it turns out, we both mutually really like each other and don't want to mess it up. She's acknowledged what she's done in the past, and now she wants to make me her present." She blushed at the wording of her last words as her brown eyes looked up at me.

How could that be possible? How could someone - notorious for using people be unconditionally for someone without any malintent? I frowned at my thought, a small inkling of jealousy developing around me as I wished I was in Addy's position, except instead of Melanie - Adrienne for that matter.