No More Lonely Nights - Chapter Six

28 April 1962.

Liverpool, England.

ALLIE: It’s been three weeks since I last was able to go to the club and see the Beatles perform their Saturday night set- I was sick one week and then the next… don’t ask. It involves my mother, of course. So now it’s the end of the month- April 28, to be exact- and I’ve only gotten to spend one Saturday with Paul. Needless to say, I haven’t been in the best mood lately, either. I hate it when I can’t see him, but you know, I also hate it when I can’t see all four of them. I’ve grown rather attached to the whole band, it’s crazy. But it just feels so right.

I flung open the side entrance to the club and walked inside. I could hear John’s voice wafting through the door leading into the main center of the club, and I heard Ringo respond. I peeked through the door and cleared my throat.

“Look who’s back!” John exclaimed. He jumped off the stage and ran over to me. “Where have you been?”

“Sick, then my mother was in a mood and wouldn’t let me come,” I replied, pulling myself up onto the edge of the stage. “Did I miss anything?”

“No, you’re actually back just in time,” Ringo said. “We’re debuting a new song tonight.”

“Oh, really? What is it?”

“It’s an original. Paul did the lyrics and I helped with the music,” John told me. “But that’s all I’m going to tell you, dear, Paul wants it to be a surprise.”

“Oh, fine, I can wait,” I said. “Where is my darling? And George?”

“Getting fish and chips. I told them I didn’t want any but watch them bring back some for me anyway. You can have my share if they do,” Ringo said to me. “I ate before I came. My mother insisted.”

“You still live at home?” I asked.

“George and I both do. I’m an only child, you see, and when I was much younger, I had both appendicitis and pleurisy. Spent quite a bit of time in a sanatorium as well. My mother is still reluctant to let her boy go.” Ringo set his drumsticks on the stool to his left. “Much as I’d like to get out on my own.”

“Do like me, Ringo, get a girl, then you and her can go live together,” was John’s reply. “Makes things so much easier, you know.”

“I will eventually. I hate to break my mum’s heart by leaving now, I mean, I’m only 21.” Ringo turned back to me. “What about your family, Allie? Paul’s said your mother is a real problem.”

“She is,” I said. “She… it’s a long story. Basically, she doesn’t like me hanging out with all of you and the fact that I’m seeing Paul in particular.”

Ringo nodded. “Doesn’t seem quite fair, but hey, here you are. Must be the classic dad-overrules-mum rule, eh?”

“Pretty much.” I turned at the sound of the side door slamming to see Paul and George, both clutching paper bags emitting the scent of fried fish and chips. “There’s my love!” Paul exclaimed, thrusting his two bags into George’s already full hands and running over to the stage. He grabbed me around the waist and lifted me into his arms. “Are you better now?”

“I am.” I replied, kissing his forehead. “Light case of influenza.”

“It’s that time of year,” he said. He put me down and turned to Ringo. “I did get you fish and chips, but I take it you still don’t want them?”

“Give them to Allie, I told you I ate.”

“We were just trying to be nice,” George replied, handing John one of the bags. “Plus I didn’t know Allie would be here this early.”