Chapter 3

"I dare you to let Uriah throw knives at you

"I dare you to let Uriah throw knives at you."

Will's eyes narrowed in though and trepidation swirled through his icy irises, "Is he any good?"

"Lauren trains the Dauntless born initiates," Four replied tonelessly, still trying to recover from the last dare now he wasn't in the spotlight. Everything still felt light; as if he were a feather just floating through.

Four watched on as Will subconsciously chewed on a string of his black hoodie, deep in thought, "You know what? I'll do it. Tris can witness."

"We should all go!" Christiana yelled. Her cheeks were flushed red now, "Wha? I wanna see 'hat!"

"Pass," Four said. Lights were splaying from their sources, emitting streaks through the spinning room. What was in that stuff? It had tasted like gold, strands of tangled gold weaved into marshlands. Also the aftertaste was foul: like unripened orange and decay. And his mind buzzed, busy trying to comprise before. Marcus was all it knew.

"You fucking pan!" Uriah exclaimed. His face was melting in huge streaks and then reforming again as if by magic. I am so, so drunk. "Tobias Eaton—" wait, what? "— s'is'a pansy."

Blind panic. Words were lost. Blind panic. Impossible to shape, to work! Panic.

"Wha'd you just call me?"

"You'sa pancake," Christiana slurred.

"Right," he said. Then his mind broke through the fog. He stopped feeling so outmanoeuvred, "No... the name. You called me by my name."

"Your real name?" Will asked, sobering faster than for knives. A pause. "Uriah?"

Uriah had turned his attention to Christina's hair. If he were sober, he'd indefinitely notice the sudden silence and the eyes boring into him like he was the penguins at a zoo.

"Uriah!" Will yelled. Uriah's fingers stilled. He turned, letting the braid unravel. "Do you know Four's real name?"

Sloppily, Uriah crossed his arms over his chest. "S'not my go."

(A/N this is the most confusing. ?plot hole? That I saw in the Four book. If Marcus beat Tobias with a belt for over a solid decade wouldn't Tori notice the scars and wouldn't she have the change the tattoo and I'm sorry (rant mode: on) in the film he didn't even HAVE scars. Like in THG glimmer had tracker jacket-sting-makeup or they could have just made it a special effect).

*****************

"Four, What's your real name?" Will asks me
"I-I've forgotten!" I exclaim. As long as it's not Marcus I can kind of pull of lying. The lies are shit. I hate being put on the spot but I can't help it. Just then Christina stabs a needle into my neck and my blood feels like lead. She put me in truth serum.
"How the heck-"
"Got some from Candor on choosing day." Explains Christina. "So what's your real name?"
I resist the lead feeling knowing I can lie if I really try. I finally manage to push the lead feeling to the back of my mind and say.
"I've forgotten!" I say "Over these last two years I've forgot"
"Thank you for your honesty." Says Christina mimicking Jack Kang. God the irony.
"Tris Candor or Dauntless?" I ask once the serum has gone off.
"Candor" That threw me and I can't think what to ask until I see my top from earlier on her lap.
"Why are you holding my top?" I ask. She blushes and pulls off her T-shirt revealing a black crop top.
"Uriah, Candor or Dauntless?"
"Dauntless! I ain't no PANSYCAKE!"
"Between that and what happened with Will it's going to be evil." She thinks out loud.
"I dare you to fully fuck someone of your choosing down in the pit." Says Tris. Will looks gleefully and I wonder what Uriah did to Tris.
"And if they refuse?"
"They kick you where the sun doesn't shine, five times!" She finished relishing every word. "Maybe you should think before doing that in the pit." Now I understood why she was acting this way. It was like with Molly when she kept attacking her, this was a matter of pride.
"Marlene?" Uriah pleads
"Sorry Uri I'm to young for kids." Says Marlene "besides it was bitchy of you to do that in the pit." Then she stands up and kicks him five times, by the end of it he has tears dilating his pupils and is grasping his groin in pain.
"Well anyone who's an initiate needs to go to sleep, the rankings are going up tomorrow." I state in my most instructor-y Four voice. Most people trudge down to the dorms while I hold open the door and then I grab my clothes, get dressed and head to my own apartment.
God I'm such a stiff.