Chapter 20: Soul of the Guardian

Al aged 14, Ed and Van aged 15.
Van POV:  

"As hollow as they come. Spirit in a can." Ed says with a smile.

"I'm surprised you realized it. Well done."

"It was easy actually. We spare against someone like you all the time. The way you move is a dead giveaway." Ed says as he glances at me with a smirk. 

"There's someone like me in the outside world?"

"It's annoying, isn't it? But I can't believe some idiot besides me had the idea to bond a soul to a suit of armour. Now I'm feeling unoriginal."

I sneak by while Ed talks to him and make my presence unknown. I won't leave Ed. I know he can handle him, but in the worst case scenario, I need to be here. I'll make my presence disappear and hide in the shadows and observe until I am needed.

The armoured soul pulls his helmet down and gets into a fighting stance.

"Number 48 was my prison number. According to official records, I died two years ago."

Ed called it. I say in my mind with a shrug to myself.

"When my body was flesh and blood, I was called the Slicer. I was a mass murderer and I made a real splash. Now my skills have been put to a different use. I'm an immortal god."

Immortal? Are you kidding me? We all know that's wrong.

"No, you're hardly immortal. That seal. It's alchemy. Someone took the iron in that blood and tuned it to the metal in your armour. That's what keeps your soul bound to this world."

"Finally, someone with a backbone who thinks they can live. This should be a good fight." he says with a laugh.

"I've told you, I know your weakness. This is your final warning before I use it."

"I don't care!" he yells, "See, I'm the type of person who likes a little struggle in their kill."

And then the fight begins. Ed is smaller but faster, though the empty suit is fast too. Ed defends with his automail arm against his long sword. The automail arm of Ed's almost caves and I almost jump in, but stand my ground instead.

I hope Al is okay. 

Ed's arm gets sliced and I panic, almost charging in, but he sees where are I am and gives a small shake of his head 'no' so I stay back. But I can hardly bear to watch. He may need help and he's just being to stubborn to admit it. But I stay until Ed says so, trusting his judgement. The armoured soul has no idea where I am and seems to have forgotten I was there.

Ed is almost hit with the shiny long sword, but dodges and falls back.

"You won't last much longer. Unlike you, my body doesn't know fatigue.Give up any hope you had. As we speak, my colleague is disposing of your companion outside."

I worry about Al, but Ed sets my mind at ease with his usual smirk and a few words.

"So this colleague of yours, is he strong?"

"Yes, yes he is. Though not as strong as myself."

Ed chuckles, "We've got nothing to worry about than. My companion, as you put it, we've fought him plenty of times and never beat him once." Ed glances at me and I take that as my signal to go help when he leasts expects it. So now I lie in wait like a snake.

Alphonse POV:

Every time I punch he goes flying and he seems to not be as strong as he thought he was.