25. "Thanks for noticing."

Start from the beginning

Something had happened.

Something good? Something bad?

No, not bad...just bad timing...

I found out I was pregnant yesterday. I had my suspicions already but I didn't confirm it until yesterday.

I had been feeling really tired-too tired-and that wasn't like me. At first, I thought it was because I was upset about the fight I had with Damian, and I was, but it was still not normal. I knew my body. I knew something was happening.

My period was also late though I didn't think much of it because my period has always been irregular. Never on the same day. Usually on the same week but not always. For sure once a month. I used to take the pill back when I was a teenager to help regulate it but I never actually followed the schedule so it didn't work. I had learned to live with it.

It was always a nice surprise.

That nice surprise hadn't surprised me this month yet which added to my suspicion. So yesterday I finally got the courage (and energy) to go to the pharmacy. I took 3 different pregnancy tests and they all gave me the same result. Positive.

I was pregnant.

And here I was on the couch watching The Office while eating chips, pretending that everything was fine and normal but I was pregnant.

There were cells working in my womb forming a little human. A little human that would have a heartbeat in a few weeks.

I stopped eating chips, suddenly feeling guilty. I should be eating something healthier like vegetables right?

Clearly, I didn't know the first thing about being pregnant except how tired it made me feel.

I didn't want to think about it because I didn't know how to feel. I hadn't given much thought about being a mother.

Before my mom died, sure, I knew I wanted to be a mom one day. But seeing my mom die, losing her, and seeing Alexa lose her-it changed something in me.

It made me terrified of having children because it terrified me to think about me dying and leaving them alone in this world without their mom. I knew it was different for me because no matter what happened between us, I had Damian's support while my mom didn't have my dad's help.

But it still scared me. Especially now that Damian and I were having issues.

I felt terrified. Pregnant and terrified. It was like the title of a Lifetime movie except it was real and it was my life.

So that was why I was cuddled in my couch and watching The Office, because it was better than facing reality.

I didn't know what I was going to do.

Of course I was going to tell Damian. I just didn't know when or how.

He hadn't called and I was ready to answer now. I knew I could easily call him but his silence made me wonder...had he given up? And if he had, should I even tell him?

I was the one to tell him I wouldn't make him choose between his mother and I. I was the one to ask him to leave after all.

This pregnancy didn't just magically solve our problems. Damian still believed his mother more than me. He was still letting her come in between our relationship.

I imagined what it would be like to bring a child into this and I cursed myself for not being more responsible. I couldn't even remember if we used protection every time-obviously not.

And here was the consequence.

I didn't know what to do. I wished I could talk to someone but at the same time, I didn't want to share the news with anyone yet. It would make it real.

The screen of my phone suddenly lighted up next to me and I reach for it eagerly.

A text. From Damian.

I know I'm not your favorite person right now...

The 3 dots blinked on the screen as he typed another text and I stared at them, eagerly, waiting for the next text. He sent 4 separate ones:

I just want to say sorry

I haven't given up, Rebecca, I'm working on it. I want you to know that.

Take care of yourself and Alexa

I love you.

My eyes welled up with tears and I was suddenly crying.

I didn't know how much I really missed him until now. I suddenly missed everything about him: his eyes, his arms around me, his voice, his face, his laugh, his smile...

I cleaned my face.

Get ahold of yourself, I told myself as I sniffed.

I haven't given up, Rebecca, I'm working on it...

Working on it? What did he mean by that?

It didn't matter. What mattered was that he hadn't given up on me. He still loved me. There was light at the end of the tunnel because he still loved me.

After reading his texts over and over, I suddenly knew what I had to do.

I got off the couch and walked upstairs to my room and got my laptop.

I love you...

I knew what I had to do. I didn't know how it was going to go. If it was going to make things better or worse but at least I would be doing something.

So I went on the internet and purchased plane tickets because I finally knew what I had to do.