20. "What in God's name is she doing here?"

That night, I began to pack my bag to get it ready for tomorrow. I hated driving at night so I wanted to leave early in the morning.

I had the bag on the bed and was folding my clothes before putting them in. I was just taking the clothes that I had brought with me. There was no point in taking any of the other clothes. I was going to have some real cleaning when I got home. The TV was on behind me. Some comedy show was on.

As I reached for the blouse on the bed, I felt Damian's arms go around me from behind. I smiled as I felt him kiss the crook of my neck.

"Do you really have to leave?" He asked as he tightened his arms around me.

I smiled. "Alexa needs to finish school." I turned around so I was facing him. "And I need to do things right this time."

Damian was wearing his pajama pants with a black T-shirt. He had just gotten out of the shower so his hair was wet which made it seem darker.

"I know it's not fair," I said softly, feeling ashamed. "But if we're going to start over-"

"We're not." Damian interrupted. "We're not starting over. We're picking up right where we left of."

I smiled up at him. "I like that."

Damian leaned in to kiss me on the forehead. "It'll be different this time, Rebecca. I promise."

I hope so, I thought to myself as he kissed me.

There was suddenly a knock on the door. "Uh, Damian?" Aaron called from the hallway.

Damian pulled back but he kept his arms around me. "What is it?"

"You're going to want to come, brother, someone's here."

Damian frowned and then went to open the door. I watched his body tense as he looked down the hallway.

"Damian?" I asked taking a step forward. He turned to look at me, there was a dread behind his eyes. "What is it?" I asked though I already knew. My body could feel it and I knew this was coming.

Standing right outside the doorway was Marianne. She was wearing a pale pink skirt suit with white heels. Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail. She looked just how I remembered her though the make up couldn't hide the look of sadness behind her eyes. Or was it anger? It was anger now-towards me, of course.

"I cannot believe this!" She exclaimed, glaring at me.

I jumped a little at the sound of her voice and I hated myself for that. I didn't want to show her weakness. I didn't want her to know the damage she had done to me.

Why was this happening now?

Aaron was standing a few feet behind her and Alexa was peeking out of her room. I wished I could order her to go inside. I didn't want her to see this.

I wanted to close the door so it could be just Damian and I but I couldn't do that. Marianne was here. In front of me. The woman I never wanted to see again in my life. The mother of my husband.

"What in God's name is she doing here?" Marianne demanded, glaring at me. She was looking at me like I was a piece of trash that needed to be thrown out of her house.

Damian took a step in front of me protectively. "Mom, don't speak to Rebecca like that."

"Are you serious right now, Damian?" She asked in disbelief looking at her son. "This woman left you! She left you without telling you anything! God knows what she has been up to these past years! I can't believe you just let her back into your life! Into my house!"