Part 2 - Who Is Ae's Faen

"Hero?" Laughing, Oh shares an amused look with his wife. "What have you been up to, Ae, to be called a hero? Congratulations on finding a cute..."

"Ae, you're home!" Ae's mom comes out from the kitchen with several bowls that she sets on a table in front of her customers before walking over to give her son a hug. "And you brought your faen to have supper with us. How wonderful!"

"Mae..." Concerned, Ae tries to correct his mother but is stopped in shock when she interrupts him.

"N'Pete, it's so good to see you again!" Pete gives her a one-handed wai of respect since Yim is still held on his hip by the other. Ae's mom waves it off and gives him a hug like she did Ae. "Have you been eating well? You look thinner. Is Ae not taking care of you?"

"Mae! I'm right here, you know." Giving his mother an exasperated look, he crosses his arms, breaking Chompoo's hold once more. "You do remember that I'm the one that is your son, right?"

"And?" His mother raises her brows at him and he gives up with a sigh. Apparently, his mother is just as susceptible to Pete's charm as he is himself. Turning, she catches sight of the girl next to Ae. "Who is this, Ae? I don't think I have met her yet."

"Sawadee-kha," Chompoo quickly greets the older woman with a wai, which Ae's mom give a nod in return. "My name is Chompoo."

"N'Chompoo goes to the university high school. I helped her get her bag before it fell in the water," Ae explains, taking the chance to move over by Pete and away from Chompoo.

"You've always been such a good boy," his mom says proudly, "always ready to help others."

"It wasn't much, Mae," Ae denies the praise.

"Mae," Oh says to gets his mother's attention, a question stirring in his mind. "If you didn't know that n'Chompoo was here, how did you know Ae brought his faen home?"

"What does Chompoo have to do with it?" Now, Ae's mother is confused as she stares back at her oldest.

"But you said n'Ae's faen..."

"Yes, I did. What else would I call his faen but faen? Honestly, you don't make any sense sometimes." The woman huffs and shakes her head before turning back to Pete. "Pete, tell Mae what you like to eat. Mae will make sure to cook you up something yummy."

"I can eat anything, Par," Pete replies quietly. The realization that Ae's mother is referring to him as Ae's 'faen' has him bowled over. They hadn't told her yet, or anyone in the family. "Whatever Par makes is sure to be delicious."

"Call me Mae, like Ae does." Mae pats his cheek affectionately. "Ae and Yim are right. You do have soft cheeks."

"Mae!" Facepalming, Ae groans as he realizes that he can even get jealous of his own mother and niece. He watches his boyfriend's blush deepen and a wide smile break out.

"I better get back to cooking!" Swirling around, Mae heads towards the kitchen.

"Do you need any help... Mae?" Pete asks as he watches the woman walk away.

"No, dear. Just keep Ae and Yim company. Nut can help me." She smiles warmly at Pete then looks over to Chompoo with a polite smile. "Chompoo, would you like to eat with us?"

"Well..." Looking between Ae and Pete and back at Ae's mother, Chompoo shakes her head in defeat. "Thank you for the offer but Mae and Por are expecting me home soon."

"Be safe going home then, nong," Mae says and enters the kitchen.

"Ae... is there something you'd like to tell us? Because I'm a bit confused." Oh scratches his head and looks around at the three students, his daughter, and his wife. Standing beside him, Nut is beginning to catch on to what her mother-in-law meant and studies Pete closer. There's no doubt that he is a handsome young man with nice manners but it's the way he interacts with Yim that wins her over. Anyone that so obvious adores her daughter is a good person in her opinion.