"You're Not Going Anywhere."

Hiro parked the time machine in the lab and immodestly sat down on his computer to work. His blood pounded in his ears as thoughts raced through his head. He needed something that would make him see the truth. Something to make him see things the way Hiro did.

Or just something to make him do what Hiro wanted.

The easiest way to do it would be a smaller version of the microbots. Something that was small enough that it could interact with neural transmitters. It also had to be able to receive information wirelessly from Hiro.

Hiro quickly drew up a plan on his computer. The design was simple, just a device made of plastic and fiber which looked like a microscopic worm. All Hiro would have to do was put it in contact with human skin and the machine would do the rest.

"It needs a name," Hiro murmured to himself. "Something awe-inspiring. Something cool."

The problem was, the machine didn't look awe-inspiring. Not even when it had been enlarged on the computer screen. Hiro tapped his chin.

"Dominion," he decided. "I'll call it Dominion."

He typed the name into the blueprint so he wouldn't forget it later and sent the schematics to his modified 3D printer. After setting it to make 200 copies he sat back and waited. The process was incredibly long and boring.

"And I'm going to go get something to eat," Hiro announced to the empty room. The printer would still be going when he got back. It was high-tech enough that it didn't need to be babysat. He left.

———

Hiro walked back down the hall towards his lab. He hated to admit it, but he'd gotten lost on the way to the kitchen. It's not like I really go there often, he reassured himself. I bet plenty of people get lost on the way to the kitchen.

He hesitated in front of the lab door. Something seemed wrong. Hadn't he closed the door completely? Slowly, he pushed it open.

The lab was dark. The 3D printer was off, leaving beside it an empty tray. Or at least it seemed empty, but Hiro knew that it held all of the Dominion bots. The light of the computer, which still displayed the schematics, lit up two glowing faces.

"Penny! Violet! What are you guys doing in here? This is my personal space!"

"It's too late, Hiro," Penny replied as she folded her arms. "We saw the plans. Dominion? Seriously? Why would you invent something to control someone's mind?"

"You wouldn't understand."

"Then help us understand."

"I don't have to do anything! You're the ones who broke into my room!"

"We were inviting you to come play dodgeball." Penny shook her head. "I can't believe you. And you made a time machine, too? What else have you built that you haven't told us about?"

"I was going to tell you guys after I rescued Tadashi! I thought maybe then you'd all take me seriously."

Penny laid a hand on Violet's shoulder before speaking again. "You rescued Tadashi?"

"No. He wouldn't come with me because Wilbur fed him a bunch of lies first!"

"Maybe we can talk this out. We can go together. We'll see if Wilbur actually had anything to do with this without resorting to . . . drastic measures." She gestured towards Dominion. "Were you thinking about using that on him?"

"I should, shouldn't I?"

"No! That's a terrible thing to say! Wilbur's just as much a hero as any of us, and I doubt he had anything to do with whatever Tadashi said!"

"Easy for you to say! You love him!"

Penny and Hiro glared at each other as Violet stared mutely at the ground. Finally Penny gave Violet a hug. "It's ok. This isn't going to be like last time. We'll figure this out."

"And you guys are still keeping secrets from me!" Hiro shouted.

"Maybe it's because we care about you, genius!" Penny yelled back. "Come on, Violet. Let's go."

Hiro stepped in their way. "You're not going anywhere."

Penny and Violet halted in their tracks. "What, you think you're going to stop us?"

"You're just going to get Wilbur, aren't you?"

"And what if we are?"

"I can't let you do that."

Hiro stepped towards the tray of Dominion. They're my friends. Or at least, I thought they were.

I wish I didn't have to do this, but you were right Kyuubi. I have to stop them.

Penny's eyes flickered to the tray. Her mouth dropped open. "He already made some," she whispered. "Run, Violet!"

Hiro scooped up a few Dominion with a plastic spoon and threw them in the girls' direction just as Violet turned invisible. He couldn't tell if he hit either of them, and he wouldn't know until he grabbed the headset.

Penny charged Hiro as he ran for the headset. They met halfway and tumbled to the ground.

"You aren't the Hiro I knew!" Penny shouted.

"Maybe you never even knew me at all!" Hiro yelled back as he threw her off. He dove for the headset, knocking several things off the desk in the process. Among those things were several of the frozen fires, which promptly cracked open and began spreading. Hiro threw on the headset and turned to face Penny. The room was empty.

"You can't hide forever," Hiro growled. "As soon as I'm done rescuing Tadashi, I'll be back. And this time I'll have the headset."

He took a deep, trembling breath. "If Dominion is in either of you, I'll know."