"That's Not Why I Built Him!"

As Hiro drifted through time in his time machine he imputed the final adjustments into his computer.  Rescuing Tadashi took a huge level of finesse.  Hiro would only have a few moments to extract him from the burning building: the moments between Tadashi running inside and the explosion.
Hiro also had to land the time machine inside the building, but he figured he had built it to be strong enough to withstand any heat and amount of force.

He hoped.

The ripples of time morphed into orange flames as Hiro jerked on the controller.  He squeezed his invention to slow down time and landed the time machine between two burning booths.  Everything around him seemed to slow down.

He jumped out of the time machine and turned to the front doors as they slowly opened.  Tadashi burst in, which looked comical because of the fact that time was slowed down.  Hiro ran forward and grabbed Tadashi's arm.  Immediately he jerked to life.

"H-Hiro?"  He stopped mid-step.  "What are you . . . how did you . . . why do you look so much older?"

"There's not much time to explain," Hiro began.  In his head he was counting down the minutes until the explosion would go off.  "I'm here from the future.  A bunch of years in the future, actually."

"You cracked time travel?"

"I mean, it wasn't actually that hard-"

"Do you know how crazy that sounds?"

"Probably pretty crazy, but I just finished the time machine and this was the first place I'm coming to."

Tadashi glanced around at the slowly burning building.  "You thought of coming here first.  A burning building."

"I'm here to save your life."  Hiro took a deep breath.  He realized for the first time that he was as tall as Tadashi was.  I'm not the little brother anymore.  "You die in this fire."

Tadashi stared into Hiro's eyes for a long moment.  Hiro cleared his throat.

"We don't actually have a lot of time before the building blows up, so we should maybe get going."

"You cracked time travel to come back to the day I died and save my life?" Tadashi asked again.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure I said that, now can we go?"

"But won't this mess up time if I suddenly show up with you back home?"

"Don't worry, I thought it all out.  I'm only taking you forward a few months.  You see, there's this whole thing you missed where Doctor Callaghan set this fire and stole my microbots in order to save his daughter, so I turn Baymax into a superhero crime-fighting machine-"

"You turned my nurse into a crime-fighter?"

"Yeah. Keep up, Tadashi. And then Go-Go and Honey Lemon and Wasabi and Fred and Baymax and I all go to stop Callaghan and we save his daughter and a lot of stuff gets wrecked in the process but it was no big deal-"

"How could you make Baymax a fighter? That's not why I built him!"

"He's still saving lives, ok? Now he's just cooler while he does it. Anyway I was just going to jump you forward in time far enough that we were all already heroes. I figured you could play the amnesia angle or something. But whatever happened you wouldn't be able to tell anyone about time travel. I know you could do it! See, I thought of everything! Now let's go!"

Hiro started tugging Tadashi in the direction of the time machine, but Tadashi stood his ground. "Hiro, I . . . can't."

"You can't?" Hiro stopped. "What do you mean, you can't?"

"I mean that you can't mess with time, even if it means saving someone's life. Who knows how doing that will change the future?"

"But you're my brother! You're Tadashi! You weren't supposed to die, you were supposed to graduate and marry Honey Lemon!"

"As great as that sounds, we can't change time. What says you can save me, but not some other poor random person who died in the past? What if you wanted to just go back in time over and over, saving lives? What would that do to time? And even if you didn't, why should I get to be rescued when other people don't?" He offered a sad smile. "I'm staying here."

The words swirled around in Hiro's mind. He wants to stay here. He doesn't want to be rescued. He thinks it will mess up time.

He couldn't possibly want that. Not unless someone else got to him first.

Hiro narrowed his eyes. Wilbur was behind this. He had to be. He always was talking about fixing timelines and keeping the future just the way it was supposed to be. Hiro didn't know how or when he did it, but somehow they got to Tadashi first and told him lies about needing to sacrifice himself to save time.

"Hiro-"

Hiro released Tadashi's arm, returning him to the slowed down version of time. Without another word he ran to the time machine, jumped inside, and calibrated it to take him back to the lab.

If Tadashi wouldn't believe him, then Hiro would make him see the truth. He wanted to be saved. He was just to noble to admit it.

"I'll be back, Tadashi. Just hang tight."