Stolen First Kiss

AN: Let's totally ignore the fact that I'm late from my supposedly deadline because life had a funny way of yelling my ears off to get off my phone and start #adulting. A Donny-centric meet-cute.

XXVIII. Stolen First Kiss

____

It is a universal reaction to feel ten different types of anxiousness when one is running towards the emergency room of a hospital.

But to paramedics like Donny Pangilinan, whose work is defined by blood and accidents, running to and from the emergency room is already a normal occurence.

The ER was not too busy when he arrives to transfer his latest patient. The doctor on-duty, Darren, gently prods the kid's leg, while he listens to Donny spout off general facts about the adventurous young boy who fell from the tree. Dr. Darren just shakes his head when he sees a bone on an ankle jutting out, and Donny discreetly moves to the kid's back to hold his arms off for Darren to set back. They work like clockwork. And one howl of pain and betrayal later, Donny smirks and pats the kid in the back to keep him from crying and calling him a very good boy.

That was the first time that Donny meets Kisses. He's already walking outside back to the ambulance where his partner, Iñigo, was most likely waiting for him when he runs into a small figure in blue scrub pants and pink undershirt.

The girl was classically cute with big brown eyes and long dark hair tucked in a high ponytail and she was small, only barely reaching Donny's shoulders but apparently very clumsy. It is only his quick reflexes that saves both of their butts from planting on the floor.

Initially, he thought she was a patient, walking so small and weak like that, and as it's his job to prevent further accidents from happening, he advises her to stop wandering around the emergency hallways and keep resting on her bed instead. The haughty glare he gets in return for his public service is so intense he was actually impressed. And even more as he watches her set him straight, telling him in a very cute irritated voice to mind his own business because she's a nurse and he's keeping her from entering her workplace, literally. So can he please move out of the way?

Donny doesn't move an inch. It wasn't his fault that he finds the way she talks distracting. She notices him looking and slides away inside but not before giving him a last warning glare. His eyes unconsciously follows her back until she disappears into a corner.

What are the odds of meeting someone for the first time and getting that attracted? On Donny's line of work, it's really next to impossible. So it's fair to say that he doesn't have much experience in asking people out, much less leave a good proper first impression on the girl. So he doesn't deserve to date, much more get a lovelife. This must be fate finally taking revenge on him for betraying that little boy's trust.

.

The second time he sees her, he is ready to start anew.

"Patient is female, 19 years old, experiencing shortness of breath, severe stomach pains, she vomited twice along the way." Donny calls out while he wheels her in the emergency room.

Small, cute pink nurse walks over and nods, taking over. She immediately asks about the patient's name, blood pressure and pulse rate – information he eagerly provides and steps back later while the nurse conducts proper hospital protocols and informs the doctor on-duty about the new patient.

But the hospital was quite busy that day which is why Donny couldn't stop himself from asking if she's sure that she's got it all covered and if she might need some other professional help.

But of course that came out as an insult. His mouth tends to run away from him whenever he's nervous, and having no filter makes him talk like a jerk.