Chapter 8

I drive out our large grey gate, and down the street, across the road, through the town and down a road. I stop outside Jack's house and hoot three times. He opens the door with his boots in his hands. He waves hi, and vanishes back in his house. I sigh loudly. I open the car door and walk over to the front door. "Jack! Come on! We're going to be late!" I call. Jack's mom pokes her head out of the lounge.

"Nick! Hi! How are you?" She asks with a friendly smile. She walks over to me holding Angie, Jacks younger sister.

"I'm good thanks. And you?" I say.

"I'm good. I'm good. Thanks."

"Nicky!" Angie shrieks with her arms outstretched to me.

"Hi Angie!" I say with a smile.

"Nicky! Nicky! Nicky!" She tries to squirm out of her mothers arms.

"Mind popping over for lunch after the game?" Jacks mom asks.

"Sure." I say taking Angie into a squeeze. "And how are you Angie?" I ask, spinning around with her.

"Good!" She says. "Jack!" She yells.

"Yea! I'm coming!" He runs to us with his bag on his back. "Lets go." He says goodbye to his mother while I give Angie back. We climb in the car and his mother waves us goodbye.

I reverse out and drive to the game.

"So what were you and mom talking about?"

"She just asked me over for lunch, thanking me for driving you everywhere."I say.

We drive along the road, every now and then glancing at the gloomy grey sky.

"Nick!" Jack yells, jerking my eyes back onto the road. "Watch the road, sheesh."

"Sorry." I mumble.

Suddenly I see Stella standing in the middle of the road, I turn steering wheels right around, slamming on to the brakes, causing the car to swerve, skimming past Stella.

"WHAT THE HELL?" Jack screams.

"St- Stella... was... standing right there..." I say, panting, pointing a shaky finger to where Stella was standing.

"WHAT? Who the hell is Stella? No one is there or was there." Jack says. "You could have killed me." He says pointing to a large tree right outside his car. "You could have killed us! There was no one. You're just seeing things."

"But I saw her." I mumble looking around for the slightest sign of someone. Maybe I am seeing things.

* * *

We arrive at the small stadium. Jake and I climb out of the car. I lock the car and walk with Jake to our team. Our coach, Coach Sullivan tells us to join the group, even though we were.

"Alright guys. Today we're versing the Hawks. I know they're good, but we're better. Ok so lets beat them!"

"Yea!" We all cheer.

As I run with the ball, the whole crowd is cheering, sounding like one huge loud noise blasting through the town. I run, dodging one guy, dodging another and then... BAM!

Stella Green was standing 8 meters away from me, smiling. I run past her, watching her the whole time, thinking 'what the hell?' I see her mouth form the word "Boo." and BAM!

I fall to the ground with a huge body on top of me, "I'll take that thank you." Says Damian, my 'arch nemesis' from the other team. He kicks the ball towards another guy in his team but then, out of nowhere Jack jumps in the air and catches the ball, but I don't notice what's going on, as I'm searching for Stella. But I can't see her anywhere.

"NICK!" I hear, and as I turn around I see the ball hurtling towards me, I jump back into reality and jump for the ball and kick it through the rugby post.

"YAY!!!" I hear the whole crowd cheer and the other side I hear "NO!" And "Awww..." I look around to notice that my team has won, 3-2. I look around for Jack, ready to do the usual run up and high five, but I don't see him running to me. My team crowds around something. I walk over, pushing through my team mates, to see the little dark blue lump. Jack was lying there, in the most awkward position, bruised all over and moaning.