Chapter 6: Aquamarine

“So… I’ll take that as a no?” I asked Sven tentatively.

We were sitting on the bench near the football field. Sven’s coach gave them a breather and he went straight to me. Thankfully, I didn’t have any classes that time so I was just hovering nearby. Sven wasn’t really a jock but ever since we were freshmen, he wanted to try on the football team. Our university was generous enough to offer workshops for those who want to be in the team.

He nodded. “I’m really sorry, Lance. Coach is grinding us, hard.

I laughed at his face and the implied sexual innuendo. “You’re stupid.” He shrugged and his expression returned to normal. “But really? You can’t come with us?”

Sven shook his head and laid a hand on my shoulder. “I’m very sorry, really. But I think you can handle yourself on your own and I trust you won’t make a fool out of yourself.” My face reddened and I resisted the urge to punch him. Instead, I pinched his side. He whimpered and laughed as my grip tightened. Finally, he called uncle. “I can’t go, okay? Maybe next time.”

I groaned. “Fine. I guess it’ll just have to be Bransen and me.”

It happened a few days ago. Bransen wanted the three of us to go to the marine aquarium uptown. I already promised him I would come so it wasn’t as if I could just back out in a snap.

“Just… try not to embarrass yourself okay?” Sven said, interrupting my thoughts. I glared at him the same time as his coach blew his whistle. “Well, take care anyway and have fun.”

I watched as he strode back to the field, bouncy and happy and I released a sigh.

Weekend came all too soon and I found myself standing just outside the aquarium’s sliding doors. I hummed to the sound of the music blaring in my ears. It, at least, helped my nerves. I didn’t want to embarrass myself, not again.

“Hey!” A familiar shout sounded in the distance.

I couldn’t have been more speechless. Bransen was wearing a white button-up shirt, with the top two, unbuttoned leaving his skin show. He wore a high-waist navy blue jeans and a pair of blue sneakers. His only accessory was a fancy looking watch.

It was so opposite to mine. He’s so simple while I was so… so extravagant. In my nervousness, I wore most of my arm candies and forgot to bring my watch. I was wearing two black studded piercing on my left ear and a cuff on the right. The shirt I wore was ivory while my jeans were ebony. The only thing that was simple on me was, I guess, my necklace, which was just a cylindrical metal with a rhinestone at the middle.

“Hi.” I was surprised my voice didn’t shake.

“You don’t need to be nervous, Lance.” He declared nonchalantly.

“W-What?” I stuttered. “I’m not nervous at all. What makes you say that?”

He dipped his head ever so slightly. “Lance, you readjust your glasses everytime you’re nervous for something and you have been doing it ever since I saw you today.”

Just then I noticed my hand on the rim. I pocketed them and shook my head. “Nope! Not nervous at a-all.”

He laughed it off. I saw the white plastic bag he was carrying and made a comment. “What’s in the bag?”

“Oh yeah. Here, I stopped by the coffee shop and bought two lattes for both of us. You strike me as a cheerful guy, so I bought you strawberry.”

I took the one he’s offering and muttered a thank you. “I’m fine with strawberry. Though you didn’t have to do this.”

He shrugged. “Well, I’ve been going to the aquarium since I was a small kid and though their food is okay, I don’t want to risk you barfing after you buy one of their, specialty shakes.” I laughed at the way his face crumpled. “Who told them sea weed and cucumber go well together?”