Chapter 2

Cracks of sun rays shone in between tiny spaces of the wooden boards that I've covered the windows with. It was already mid-afternoon.

I woke up feeling nostalgic all of the sudden as the conversation yesterday led me to the past. I should be working at this hour but that doesn't matter anymore. I got out from bed and went over to the dresser. I took out the comb that I've stolen from the accessories store the first day the apocalypse happened.

It was totally my best friend, Jane's idea. I don't blame her, everybody was on a crime. Somehow, I decided to comb my messy hair ultra careful today. What was wrong with me? It's not like I actually cared how I looked.

I dragged my feet to the cafeteria for some breakfast. Usually I got used to the hunger but I really wanted to eat something. There were a few campers who'd probably had night shifts yesterday like me. In our camp, we work to earn food coupons that we could use to trade food with.

Food was scarce and limited as the food that we scouted for were mostly expired. We don't really care anymore. At most, we just had really bad stomachache.

"Hey Emily!"

There goes our camp's 'chef', Henry. Everybody's been telling me that he had a crush on me and that I should probably just accept him but I thought it was just pointless. I mean, people die easily in this apocalypse and I just didn't want to go through that heartache.

"Here! I got you a can of lychee and a packet of biscuit. Oh, don't worry! They will only cost you two coupons! I am having a double coupon discount only for you." He winked as he pushed the food generously to me.

I sighed and handed him two coupons. "You don't have to do this, you know." I took the packet of biscuit only and left.

"W-WAIT!" He shouted after which earned me the same teasing looks from those few campers. I ignored them and sat right at the end corner of the cafeteria.

As I was opening the packet, a bowl of green peas was placed in front of me. I annoyingly looked up to find NJ standing in front.

"Can I sit with you?" He shrugged his shoulders.

"Whatever." I said in a bored tone.

He happily sat down right opposite me and I sighed.

"Wow, you must have worked hard to be able to trade for that biscuit." Here we go...the 'start a random conversation' people tried to come up with when they first met.

"I'm already here for a year." I casually said.

"Well, it's been a long time since I had that." NJ was envious as he started to pick a green pea from the paper bowl he had. He had this disgusted face as he forced himself to put that pea in to his mouth.

I burst out laughing when I saw that and quickly tried to stop.

"Hey! I hate peas ok? I wouldn't be laughing if I were you." He pouted as he made yet another disgruntled face as he chewed.

"I'm sorry...It's just...you had a funny expression." I calmed myself down and avoided looking at him.

"Don't worry. You'll be getting more coupons from now on to trade for food. I used to eat green peas too when I first got here. But then I decided to save all the coupons I got from working without eating for several days and eventually, I had better." I was surprised with myself for sharing so much to NJ.

He had a smirk on his face. "So, we're friends now?"

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes and he laughed out loud. I too, secretly had a smile on my face. 

End of Chapter 2