Chapter 7

"Guys over here!". I look around to see John waving at us. We wave back, heading over to them. "hey"

I smile. "hey guys"

"I just wanted to say sorry again for my comments Avery" says Smitt with a hug.

"It's ok. Don't worry about it" she smiles, as does Smitt.

"Right" John begins, "now that's resolved, shall we begin our walk on the beach?"

"Yes!" We all cheer, beginning our walk

"So how's it going between you two?" I ask, starting up yet another conversation.

"It's going very well - I think" John responds. Smii7y just hums, intertwining his and John's fingers, smiling.

"I think so too" he eventually says.

"Well that's good" I say. Avery hums in agreement.

"Not to make things awkward again, because that's not my intentions, how's it going between you two? Friend wise. I know you're just friends"

"Thanks for clarifying" Avery laughs. "everything is great. Y'know, I couldn't ask for a better best friend"

"Oh, looks like I've been upgraded." I smile. "and same here. Couldn't think of a better best friend"

"You've been my best friend since I took you to green dream"

"Really? That early?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

She hums. "you were so... Calm and welcoming - lovely. We got on well"

"True that"

"What is this green dream?" John chips in.

"Can't say" I grin. "secrets". I laugh as both Smitt and John toll their eyes, sighing.

"It was worth a shot I suppose"

We continue to chat and I would occasionally feel Avery's hand brush against my own, dusting my cheeks in a light blush each time. Eventually, I buck up enough courage to do something about it by linking our pinky fingers together the next time her hand brushed against mine.

I look at her with the corner of my eye and she doesn't seem to mind so I use that as an excuse to hold her hand properly. She didn't seem to mind that either so I continued to hold her hand, chipping into the conversation as I break away from my thoughts. "what?"

"They don't know whether to try for a baby or adopt" Avery informs me sounding excited.

"Wait, how long have you been dating? I can't remember". I try racking my brain for an answer as they've said before but I just can't remember.

"A little over 6 months" Smitt reminds me.

"Ah right. Are you both comfortable with trying for a baby first? Like, do you know who you want to carry the baby n stuff"

"Well, we think John should carry the baby but if I end up carrying it, then it doesn't matter."

"I think you guys should try. The baby will definitely be more your own because they are. And, there's no harm in trying"

"True. I think that too" says John, wrapping an arm around Smitt.

"Mmm 'kay. Sounds good to me". He smiles then looks at both my an Avery. "would you guys help us look after the little one?"

"Yeah, sure" I smile.

"Of course!" Avery's eyes light up instantly and she has a huge smile on her face.

"You're excited"

"I know! Sorry. It's just such a lovely thing to help with y'know"

"Yeah. Guess you're right there"

"Would you like kids Avery?" Asks John.

"Yes, I think I would. A girl perhaps"

"Awe. What about you Cam?"

"I mean, given the opportunity slash chance, I probably would. I think I would like a girl too. They're so sweet n stuff" I answer truthfully. A girl would be nice.

"Boys are sweet too" Smitt defends.

"Yeah well, boys are more rough than girls so yeah"

"True.". He whispers something to John who smiles and looks at me and Avery.

"What?" We ask, both confused.

"Oh nothing" Smitt lies, looking all happy and pleased.

"Tell" Avery begs. "please Smitt. Or John"

Smii7y simply points in-between me and Avery. We both look in-between us, remembering that we are holding hands.

With no attempts from either of us of letting go, we remain holding hands with our cheeks slightly red. I decide to defend his, saying it's just a best friend thing. I don't think it's wrong. What else could it be? It's not love - we aren't dating. Well it cant love right?

"Aw don't be stupid. Girls do that with their best friends, not boys. It's a girly thing - understandable if you were a girl Cam" John starts. "it's so couple like!"

"Oh shut up..."

"So what?" Says Avery, trying her best to stay strong on the spot. "so what if we're holding hands? We're best friends. We allowed to do this? Out of pure friendship lover boys. Stop being sexist because holding hands out of friendship isn't for girls only - or couples only."

"I stand corrected. Sorry"

Before this goes any further, possibly getting worse, I decide to end it. "I think me and Avery best get going now. Walks been fun. Bye!" I smile and wave to the boys, as does Avery, and we start making our way back to my house.

"hey you ok? You looked like you were about to loose it and have a breakdown or something." I ask once we're away from the beach.

"Yeah, just... Annoyed I suppose. Stupid things getting to me." She sighs.

"If you don't like holding hands just say and we won't"

"No-No. I-It's ok, I... I quite enjoy it... It's, it's just accusations. They get on my nerves. Getting to me stupidly after a while"

I stop walking, turning her around to face me. "it isn't stupid letting things get you. If you don't like it, say and stop it. If you find it uncomfortable confronting them, I'll do it"

"Thanks Cam"

"Anytime. Doing it for you". I pull her into a hug and she mumbled something that makes my heart do backflips and fill me with joy.

"Love you Cam"

"I... I love you too". I hate myself for stuttering. Even though it's in a friendly way, it still gets to me - making me really happy.