Chapter 9

MOURIR 9

I keep my head down and my mouth shut as I follow death blindly. Don't ask me where we are heading because I don't know. I don't dare to speak to him because I don't understand my emotions. I know it's bizarre and I don't even know what it is but I feel connected to him. Connected to him by an invisible thread. What is it that I feel? Pity? Remorse? Respect? Admiration? Affection?

I try to shake these thoughts out of my head. Get a grip on yourself Heidi. It can't be affection because this will be more morbid than necrophilia. But will it though? Stop it brain, stop it.

He can read your mind.

On this realization I feel embarrassed and as if like my privacy is breeched. To distract myself I clear my throat "Are we there yet?"

"Almost" he says.

Finally we came in front of a mall. Death pointed out a particular man to me. He was young. Strong jaws, heavy built, clean shaved, well dressed. A treat for the eyes. He's smiling and talking to a group of children who sat around him and listened to him intently. It was a gathering in the mall. I figured he was some kind of a doctor for children and by the looks of it he was quite popular among them. The children and the parent looked at him with admiration while he demonstrated something. It was kind of one of those awareness program.

I know death is showing me the vice now. But once again this guy doesn't give off such a vibe but I have learnt from the experience to not judge a book by its cover.

We wait for this convention to get over and then we follow him wherever he goes. We don't speak a single word. As if we are communicating through our minds. My heart thuds loudly as he enters a building, I'm scared to see what I shall find inside.

Wordlessly we enter into the apartment the man went it. It's more of a suite. Big and posh. Of course he is rich. My eyes follow him like a hawk watching it's prey, anticipation churning inside my stomach.

I see him entering a room. I look at death. I know he wants me to follow him alone. I walk towards the room and peek in still afraid. I see a woman. She's pale and her cheeks are sunken. She is lying on the bed. She looks ill. I watch as the man rubs the woman's face with a wet towel. She doesn't move. She stares blankly.

Is he keeping her restrained? I look closely to see whether she's bounded by means of imprisonment but find none. It confuses me. Is this his wife? What's happening?

I shudder when I hear the man saying something. Whispering. I get close to them so that I can make out the words. Straining my ears I hear him say...

"Sweetheart can you hear me?
Have you told anyone today?"

I held my breath.

"I had to do it honey.
You know I wasn't ready.
Why would you not listen to me when I asked you to go to the hospital and get it done?
Now see what I had to do"

I couldn't move. What did he do? His voice sounded so strange. So calm. Too calm.

"You will not tell anyone will you?
You will not tell anyone that I drugged you and conducted your abortion will you?
I know you will not.
I love you so much baby"

I can't believe my ears. He drugged her and aborted her baby?! Against her will! It is illegal and an criminal offence. I felt sick. I wanted to reach out and save the woman from the monster. My skin crawled. I couldn't stand in the room. I ran out with tears burning and disgust.

How can a man do that to his own wife and unborn child? The woman's face flashed across my eyes. It was lifeless. Dead. I felt like I will faint.

And I did.