Entry 28 - Let's Just Say That This Didn't Go As Planned

Start from the beginning

"It's so good to see you." He rested his head in Raymond's shoulder for a second, but quickly lifted it back up.

"But what the hell where you guys thinking? Coming here without warning? Do you realize just how much goes into getting all your rooms and meals ready?"

Raymond looked at him in surprise, until Jordan burst out laughing.

"Oh no! Elliot's going all 'queen mode' again! Dude, chill out. The servants can deal with it."

"I should have the title queen. I still don't understand why that wouldn't have worked."

He put his hands on his hips to piece the point, and Jordan sniggered.

"Apparently dad thought it wasn't manly enough."

Elliot pulled a face that was probably mirrored on my face. Jasper was an asshole.

"Funnily enough, that's exactly how I got out of going with him this weekend. I said I wasn't manly enough to handle a hunting trip, and he quite agreed, so I get to stay here for your birthday."

He told Eva, and she smiled kindly at him.

"Well, I'm glad you could stay. It wouldn't be the same without you."

"Yeah right."

He muttered, and resumed his previous seat. I followed him with my eyes, surprised at the undertone of bitterness in that last answer.

"Oh Thomas, you know Joan is here right?"

Jordan turned suddenly, dropping that massive bombshell as if it were no big deal.
Thomas stiffened next to me, and I glanced over at his rigid face.

"I...no. Why is she here?"

"She is one of my best friends. I didn't know you were all coming, or I might not have invited her."

Eva was looking Thomas apologetically, and I was finding it hard to decide where to look. Suddenly everything was very awkward, and confusing.

Why was she here? I didn't need this right now. Everything was finally starting to work out for us.

I glanced over at Elliot, whose eyes were going between me and Thomas. His gaze was scrutinizing, and for some reason made me uncomfortable.

"Where is she?"

"A few rooms down." Eva supplied him with the information after a moment of silence.

Without a word to me, he got up and left the room. I tried my hardest to not follow him with my eyes. To not let the disappointment and pain show on my face, but try as hard as I could, I knew it was obvious. From the awkward quietness of the room, to the sympathetic look I was getting from Elliot.

"Come on, Alex! Let me show you around my palace."

Elliot tried his best to adopt a cheerful tone of voice, and stood up to lead the way. I followed him, but sure why, or to where, but I knew that I wanted to get away. Elliot had seen that, and I was thankful to him.

"I'd I had known you were—"

"It's alright. It's no one's fault."

Elliot looked at me for a few seconds more. He owned his mouth to say something, but thought better if it, and closed it again. We walked in silence until we reached a door that Elliot gestured for me to enter.

It was a very grand living area. Everything looked like it cost a fortune, from the lights to the carpets on the floor. It looked like something you'd see in a magazine, but not like somewhere you would actually want to live.

"Cozy, isn't is?"

I turned sharply at the harsh sound of his voice, and saw him close the door.

"It's a little...too much?"

He laughed, and nodded.

"I definitely agree."

A silence fell between us, and I stood there awkwardly. He hasn't asked me to sit down, or anything. He just stood there.

"What happened to your face?"

He spoke so suddenly that I started. Never in all the time that I had know him, had I felt awkward around Elliot, but something in his eyes was beginning to worry me.

"Oh, I dropped my phone on it."

His eyes narrowed, and he took a step closer to examine my fading bruise.

"How did you manage that?"

"I was laying down, flipping my phone in the air, and I dropped it."

It all sounded so dumb now, and I didn't know why I should be defending myself to Elliot.

"Thomas didn't...hit you or anything?"

My eyes darted to meet his, total surprise my only reaction.

"Of course not! Why would he do that?"

He seemed satisfied with my answer, and nodded.

"I was just worried, and thought I would check."

"Well, there was nothing to be worried about." I said, defensively.

"Good."

He was still standing close to me. Still just looking at me. I opened my mouth, about to ask him why he would have even thought of such a thing, but before I could speak, he did something that effectively cut off my sentence.

He leaned forward, and kissed me.