Chapter 24

Harry’s POV

“Hey, hey, don’t cry. It’ll be alright.” I comforted Charl as I pulled her closer on the couch. “If you want to talk about it, I’m here to listen.”

She gurgled a little and cleared her throat before wiping her eyes.

“Actually, yeah.” She said in a small voice, looking up at me sheepishly. “Do you mind? I kinda want to get it all off my chest.”

“Of course, go for it.” I reassured her and leant back to listen to her.

Charl opened her mouth and closed it, hesitating.

Then she did it again.

And again.

Eventually, she spoke.

“Do you mind if we go somewhere else? I-I... I just kinda wanna be near him when I tell you. And I want to tell you everything. I’m so sick of keeping all of this in.” She admitted.

“Yeah sure.” I nodded, standing up and extending my hand to help her up. “Where we going?”

She took my hand with a small, grateful smile. “The, uh, cemetery. Only, if you don’t mind. I-I don’t want you to be uncomfortable. I’ll direct you there, i-if you want-”

“Shhh.” I cooed, pulling her in for another hug before she broke down again. “It’s okay. Of course we can go there. We’ll see your dad and talk about it, okay?”

I put my hand on her shoulder and wiped a tear with my other hand.

“You okay?” I asked her and she nodded.

“Yeah, I feel a little better. I’m just gonna change first, then we can go.” She informed me before disappearing into her bedroom.

I sat back down and waited before she came back out in jeans and a hoodie, tucking her phone into her pocket.

She stood in front of me as I stood up and let out a deep breath.

“Let’s go.” She said, heading out the door. “Can you drive us?”

“Sure.” I replied, following her out the apartment and down to my car.

We climbed in and she pulled her hood up over her head.

“Where we headed?” I asked as I pulled out into the street and started driving down the road.

She sniffled and told me the address before becoming silent again.

I reached over and patted her leg before turning back to the road.

As I drove, I wondered about what she was going to tell me.

I know her dad died, but there was something else.

There was a whole back story I didn’t know and she’d hinted at it before, but I’d never asked.

Now that he had passed away, I couldn’t help but think that maybe I was going to find out exactly what happened within her family that tore them apart.

We pulled up to the cemetery and I found a parking spot before I turned to Charl.

She’d fallen asleep so I went around to her side of the car and gently woke her.

“We’re here.” I whispered and she started to move.

“Was it a dream? Is he really gone?” She asked desperately as she opened her eyes and looked around, still half in her dream world.

Her eyes found mine and her face crumpled as she realised.

“C’mon.” I said, stepping back to let her out.