chapter nineteen

45 votes and 10 comments for the next chapter.
____________

Freezing rain violently poured down from the nearly black sky as Annie tried making her way back to camp. She could hardly see where she was going through the sheets of water, scratches lining her exposed skin from branches that she accidentally walked into.

Annie let out a groan of pain as she tripped over a tree root that blocked her path, her shin scraping against the wet wood. Annie threw her arms out in front of her to prevent face diving into the mud, but her hand slipped. Pain ripped through Annie's arm as it twisted in a way that it was most definitely not meant to twist, hitting the ground with a thud. A loud scream sent a small flock of birds flying away, who were afraid of both the storm and Annie's cries of pain.

Annie made a mental note to punch Peter Pan in the face when she got back to camp as she struggled to stand up out of the mud. The entire front part of her body was covered in mud, the rest of her soaked from the rain. The girl's hair clung to the sides of her face, the ends caked with mud.

     The past week of Annie's life had been hell because of Neverland's leader, and his stubborn side kick of a brother. With everything from the battle on the beach, Grayson getting poisoned, and all of the secrets, Annie has had quite enough. Now there was talk of someone knew coming to the island. The girl could only hope it'd be Tanner, so that the now grown up boy could set Pan straight. Annie didn't get her hopes up though. Tanner was all grown up now. He and Hunter had found their happy endings.

     For the first time since Annie stepped foot on Neverland the second time, she wanted to go home. She was mentally and physically exhausted, and it seemed that things were only going to get worse. Grayson's fate was sealed, his death being inevitable. Annie just didn't know how much time she had left with him. Not much, she presumed. Dreamshade was a nasty poison, designed to rip loved ones away from the world.

     Annie was a lot more careful with every step she took, her entire body filled with pain and fatigue, threatening to shatter like glass if it were to fall again. All Annie wanted was to get out of the rain, already soaked to the bone.

     A distant voice caught the girl's ears, making her walk extra carefully so she could make out the words. It was someone calling out her name, the voice of a child filling her ears.

     Annie spun around, trying to catch sight of who was calling her. For all she knew, this could be another one of Pan's tricks, trying to make her spiral into insanity.

     "Annie, over here!" The voice was louder, and sounded different. More grown up. As Annie turned again she saw Jakob waving at her through the trees, standing in the entrance of a cave with Nathan beside him. The girl ran over to the cave, not caring about anything else but making it to the boys.

"What are you two doing out here? Are the other boys with you?" Annie frantically questioned the boys, pulling both of them in for a hug once she was inside the cave and protected from the rain.

"Yeah, we're all here. Pan and Grayson left us on the path, then it started raining—" Jakob tried to explain, but was cut off by an eager Nathan.

"Annie, you're not gonna believe who else is here." The younger boy stated, a large grin on his face.

"Who? Who's here?" Annie asked, looking between the two boys. Jakob glanced down at Nathan before allowing a smile to spread across his face.

"Follow us." He said before turning around and heading into the cave, that was dark for a moment before torches started lining the rock walls. There was a set of stairs inside the cave that Annie followed Nathan and Jakob down, starting to feel anxious and skeptical about the situation. The boys didn't seem to be worried in the slightest, and the only thing keeping Annie calm was that she knew the boys would never do anything to hurt her.

____________

Who do you think's gonna be in the cave?? And keep continuing to guess what you think's gonna happen soon, I love reading all your theories!! :)