chapter twenty two

Annie broke out of the trees, onto the beach where the mermaids swim. One of the Lost boys ran into her, and made an 'oof' noise. She turned around to see who it was, before frowning and walking out onto the beach.

     Luke was standing at the edge of the water, with three mermaids staring at him from a large distance away. They looked hungry, and ready for their prey to jump in.

     "Luke! What are you doing?" Annie yelled over to him. He turned around, and smiled.

     "I guess you found my letter." He yelled back.

     "I did. Why are you here?" Annie asked.

     "Because I'm tired of being trapped here, Annie. I was taken away from all my hopes and dreams. Did you know that I wanted to be a surgeon? But now I'm stuck here, running through forest and eating the same meal every night with some teenage dictator. I'd rather die than live one more day on this island, because it's slowly killing me anyways."

     "Luke, you can't die on Neverland. How is it slowly killing you?"

     "I'm mentally dying, Annie. I just don't belong here, and I never have."

     "So you're going to kill yourself? Why don't you just ask Pan to let you go home?"

     "It's too late now." Luke replied, quieter than he had been talking but Annie could still hear him.

     "It's never too late to follow your dreams, Luke." Annie walked closer to the boy, but he put his arm out.

     "Don't come any closer, or I'll go in." He threatened. Annie stopped in her tracks, and took a step back. "It's too late for me. I've been here too long, and everything's different now." Luke said.

     "Please, Luke. Don't do this." Annie replied. She felt her bottom lip shake as Luke took a step into the water.

     "I'm sorry, Annie. I hope one day you understand." Luke said. He kept walking deeper and deeper, until he dove underwater. There was a loud splash, and the mermaids were gone. Annie watched as there was alot of splashing, and thrashing around. The water turned a deep red, that mixed with the natural blue colour.

     Annie winced as she saw Luke's hand appear above the water, then it went limp. The water became calm, and she saw three mermaid tails come up to the surface as they swam away. Annie turned around, and started heading back to camp. The Lost boys were frozen on the beach, with what they just witnessed replaying in their minds.

     Annie made it back to camp, and saw Peter pacing around in a small circle.

     "Where have you been?" He snapped once he saw Annie.

     Annie ignored him, and walked past. Peter grabbed Annie's arm, and spun her around.

     "Where were you? And where's luke?" Peter demanded.

     "He's dead! I was at the beach watching your mermaids maul him to death!" Annie snapped, and ripped her arm from Peter's grasp. He stood there in shock, staring at her. Annie scoffed before turning on her heel and walking to her tent.

     She went inside, and collapsed onto the ground. Annie buried her head in her hands as she started to cry. She stood up, and that sadness soon turned to anger. Annie began throwing stuff around, and making a mess of her tent. She pulled out all her dresser drawers, and dumped the clothes out. She ripped the sheets off her bed, and threw her lamp across the room. Annie sighed, and sat down on the edge of her bare mattress. She breathed heavily as she looked around the room.

     Annie pulled Luke's letter out of her pocket, and put it into the drawer of the bedside table.