“Here you go.” Mike reached into his jacket and pulled out a small, silver wrapped package and thrust it into his hands. “I hope you like it.”

Will looked down at it, turning it over slowly in his hands. He was sure whatever it was, he would love it, especially since it came from Mike.

“Thanks. This is for you.” Will’s voice was quiet as he handed over a blue wrapped gift. “It–it’s not much but…" 

"Stop. I’m sure it’s great.”

The two had exchanged gifts every Christmas Eve since they could remember. Neither could remember just how it had started, but it was just one of those things that was there’s and there’s alone. They’d exchanged gifts with Lucas and Dustin before–mostly comic books and small toys and stuff that didn’t cost a lot of money–but only Mike and Will did this. It was special.

“Ready?”

“Ready?”

They both said at the same time, before giving each other a little nod and both tearing into their gifts, sending bits of wrapping paper all over the porch.

“These are awesome! Thank you!” Will cried out, clutching a box of professional oil pastels in his hands. They were the kind they sold at the art store downtown that cost more than his Mom was willing–or able–to pay. Just holding them made him feel like a real artist.

“Thought you might want a step up from crayons.” Mike gave him a lopsided smile and held up his gift, a stack of assorted comic books. “Thanks Will, these look awesome.”

Will wished he could have afforded to buy Mike something better than a stack of cheap comics, but Mike had always been grateful for whatever Will gave him, not once making him feel small.

“You’re welcome.” Will shivered, partly from the cold and partly from Mike’s smile, though his cheeks felt like they were burning.

“You’re cold.” Mike frowned. “I should probably go. My parents will kill me if they saw I snuck out.”

“Ok.” Will stepped backwards, putting his hand on the doorknob, when he saw it hanging above him in the doorway. It was the piece of plastic mistletoe that Jonathan had placed up there last year, when he’d used it to give Nancy a million kisses, making her laugh uncontrollably and making Will roll his eyes.

Mike didn’t seem to notice Will noticing it, and in a decision that seemed great in his eggnog and love addled mind, he decided that giving Mike a kiss under the mistletoe would be the best thing he could ever do. He would go for the cheek, a zone that could be easily brushed off as friendly, and that would be that.

It was perfect.

Right up until Will lunged forward, eyes closed and aiming for Mike’s cheek, and Mike shifted ever so slightly and…Will’s lips collided smack into Mike’s. He wanted to pull away quickly, but instead he was frozen–they both were–and one pair of shocked brown eyes met a pair of shocked hazel ones and time seemed to stop entirely.

“I-I am s-sorry.” Will choked out, when common sense had overtaken him and he’d jumped back. The whole porch seemed to be spinning and he thumped his head back onto the door, closing his eyes to stop the sway.

It was dead silent except for the sound of the wind blowing and their mutual breathing, until Mike spoke.

“Will, open your eyes. It’s ok.”

“I really don’t want to Mike.”

“Will…”

“Maybe you should just go.”

There was a sigh and then cold fingers pressed into Will’s jaw. Will flinched, expecting a blow or something violent, but only to find a pair of cold lips meeting his. It was soft and lingered only slightly longer than the first kiss, but it was everything. 

Mike Wheeler was kissing him. On the lips. On purpose. Will managed to open his eyes when he felt the warmth of Mike pulling away. 

“Merry Christmas Will.” Mike said, his eyes twinkling, and then he hopped off the porch and onto his bike, taking off into the night.

Will watched him go, staring at the tire tracks he’d left in the snow, at a complete loss for words.