(3) MR. LONELY

He thought suddenly that all he had to do is was show confidence. Women love confidence, right? Don't be cocky. He saw her at the store again, this time he wasn't in a work uniform. He suddenly started to fidget with his watch and then his rings on his fingers. Scratching at the tattoos on his fingers, his nerves began to become more erratic. He was think more irrational that he was before. Confidence... confidence right? He lost all confidence suddenly as he walked slowly over to Mary Jane who seemed to be choosing vegetables this time.
"Mar-" he cleared his throat, "Mary Jane."
She rolled her eyes along with a sigh, "What do you want Micah? Doesn't this get old for you? Like at all? Go harass someone else," she turned around. His stiff shoulders then slouched from the disappointment. He suddenly felt insecure, looking around at everyone else. No one seemed to notice them at all. He looked at the back of her curly hair once again and sighed. "Sorry," he shrugged. He turned around to walk away, rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment.
He went back to his dorm room to sleep it off. He stared at the ceiling, thinking maybe he was still annoying. Maybe he objectified her? Maybe. He chewed his bottom lip as he checked his phone. He decided to just get over her, she was only a crush. He deleted her off all his social media; not like she followed him anyway. She wouldn't notice him on the fake internet world just like in the real world.
He twisted the ring on his finger around and around as he stared at the ceiling waiting to go to sleep. The more he thought about the rejection the more he felt fine. People get rejected everyday. He closed his eyes so he could feel the sleep creep up on him. Turning over, he made up his mind that he would still keep crushing on her but he would just leave her alone. His chances didn't matter, so he'll stop trying. How lame.
Waking up, there was a missed phone call from his mom. He called her back as he listened to music. He almost finished his homework as he spoke on the phone. "When you gonna get you a girly friend?" his mom asked.
"When I get one who's not self righteous like all the others that go here," he replied dryly.
He could envision her shrugging, "I guess."
"Hey, I gotta go, I'm getting something to eat with something with Donovan," he cut it short.
"Tell em I said hi."
"Okay."
"Okay?"
"What?"
"Say, I love you Mama."
"I love you , Mama."
"Alright, bye." she hung up without hesitation.