Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

        I wait in the car because I want to savor sitting down for the last few seconds. I also need to fix my bra which I hastily clasp.

        He doesn't realize I'm still in the car and starts walking off without me.

        Oh, I think. Whatever happened to our one day of fun? Is he on a date with himself?

        Lee suddenly comes running back, looking sorry and I already know what I'm going to do. He comes around to my door and as he reaches the handle, I slam the door open on one very sensitive spot for men. Deja-vu.

        "Ivory!" he yells before he goes to grab the hood of the car from the pain. "That's the second time you've done that to me within the last few months!"

        "Lee? Oh, whoops, sorry. Kind of forgot you were there," I explain, "kind of like you forgot I existed and went running off. How silly of me." I get out of the car and close the door before tilting my head as I watch Lee. I cross my arms.

        After he recovers, he finally looks up and smiles at me. "Don't be mad," Lee says, using a soft voice to lure me in. He walks closer to me and scoops me into a bear hug. I can't move my crossed arms. "I didn't forget you. I was just...really excited because I've always wanted to show someone this and now I have you and I guess I'm so overwhelmed I nearly forgot the most important part of this—you."

        My heart crumbles—damn, I'm so easy—and I feel apologetic in an instant. "Really?"

        "Yes," he replies and then kisses my forehead and pulls back. "Still angry at me?"

        I kiss his shoulder because it's the only stupid part I can reach while I'm held captive in his arms. "I'm sorry for ruining your chances of children."

        Lee laughs and then grins. "All is forgiven." He lets me go and extends a hand. "Ready to go?"

        "Always," I answer. I take his hand and grasp it firmly.

        Lee takes me along through the trees and he moves them away specifically in a way so they won't scrape my skin and I smile as he does. He gets scraped in the face twice but doesn't complain and only makes sure that it doesn't happen to me. For some reason, this gesture is so heartwarming to me and I can't help but smile the whole walk, even if I hate hiking and going outside in general.

        I've never been on an actual date-date, and this is probably my first time with Lee holding hands and doing couple things in the public eye. Well, not that there's anyone around for miles, but actually going out and doing couple things.

        And when our feelings are real.

        That's the best and most amazing part. That this guy—Lee frickin' Richardson—has the same feelings for me as I do for him and I don't think I will ever forget even when my hair is gray and my back is broken.

        I hold his hand tighter and he turns back to look at me. We smile at each other as we walk but stop when he gets hit in the face with a branch.

        "Ow, shit," he says, rubbing his face as I start laughing. He glares at me. "Wow, thanks for worrying, Ivory, but really, I'm fine. Don't worry at all, nope."

        "Sorry," I say, giggling. "You should watch where you're going, smarty pants."

        Lee glares at me before pouting. "I hate you."

        "I lo—" I stop. I almost said the word. My eyes are wide and look for Lee's.

        He's staring at me, his eyes shining. He's grinning and he is waiting for me to finish my sentence. My heart drops. When all I can manage is a nervous smile, his grin shrinks to a small, sad smile and he nods before we take off again.