Aftermath

After they leave, I unfreeze and slide down onto my knees.

How could they?! They promised that they would stay with me. That they were afraid I would leave them, not the other way around!

After sitting on the ground and crying my eyes out, I decide to go to the hospital to see my foster dad, Dr. Roberts.

I climb into the Jeep that North bought for me for my birthday that is still filled with their scents. That almost makes me unleash another wave of tears.

But I hold it in.

I am a strong woman, I don't need any of them.

Who do think you're kidding, you love them with all your heart.

Is it just me or do your consciences also love to be annoying and unhelpful. But I guess they were designed to tell the truth, weren't they?

As I pull into the parking lot, I see Dad standing outside fuming and shouting at he phone before hanging up.

I walk up to him and touch him lightly on the shoulder. He jumps in surprise.

"Oh dear! You still manage to scare the hell out of me!"

I try to smile but I think it looks like a grimace.

I notice that he is doing the same because although his lips are turned up, but his eyes don't have the usual happy glint.

"Sang... Are you okay? I.... I just got off the phone with Sean. His team is going on a vacation in Hawaii and he's calling to tell me about this... morning."

Just like that, I drop the mask because those words delivered another direct punch in the stomach.

There's so many hot girls in Hawaii...They probably forgot about me already. Fine, if they're doing this, I will try to move on too.

"Dad, can you assign me on another mission?"

I knew he didn't want to tire me out because there's only so many girls in the academy, plus my ghost bird identity.

He looked skeptical but agreed when he looked into my eyes and found determination.

"Alright, the Toma team is going on a 6 month mission in Russia, they need a girl that can speak Russian."

I've never been on a mission with any male team except for... them. I've met them and they seemed to be very happy with a brunette.

"Don't they have a girlfriend? Why me?"

Dad sighs and says, "They broke up a week ago, they needed a mission to distract them."

Suddenly I felt pity and the next second, I realized that the pity wasn't just for them.

It was also for me.

Sorry guys, I couldn't post because I had to practice for my grade 10 piano exam. I got a very great mark so I guess my practice paid off!

See you in the next chapter!