The Message

[A/N: Okay, so I probably should mention this is not going to be Delta's POV. Since this is technically a memoir she's writing (even though it went from past tense to present tense because I find it easier to write that way, sorry), this means she went and had to get this information from someone else. Considering where she is at the end of the story (which I do know, by the way, because I wrote it out last night), this is entirely reasonable that she knows what this person was thinking. Of course, she could have also had them write it themselves. And yes, this is a bit shorter and a bit more complicated due to the constantly switching PoVs. Sorry again. Now, let's get into this again!]

Michael and Arielle ~ La Mirada Slave Camp, Los Angeles, California

"The Fernals seem really pissed off lately." I whisper to Arielle, who's got her head resting on my arm. We're both staring up at the starry sky, which we haven't seen in a while.

"Yeah. Do you think it has to do with those explosions a couple nights ago?" She replies, looking over at me. Worry shines in her eyes as she speaks, and I hug her a little closer.

"Maybe. Maybe it's the rebels, though." I reply quietly.

The speakers crackle, probably spouting more of the Fernals' bullshit. I prepare myself to listen to more of it, fighting to ignore it once again.

But it's unfamiliar. Something new. Something...hopeful?

"Hello, everyone. I know you don't know me, so let me introduce myself." The speaker's young, really young. There's something to their voice, though, that makes me and Arielle both sit up and listen. We're not the only ones around us--everywhere around the camp, people are sitting up and listening with silent breath. "My name is Delta. You've probably heard of me from the Fernals. I know what the stupid rusted sporks call me. An insurgent, a fool, among other things. I can assure you, this is not true. Neither are their claims that they are the true overlords of this world, but I'm sure you know that already. I'm broadcasting from Los Angeles, California. My team and I are responsible for the rescue of thousands of people, and we're also responsible for the destruction of three Fernal compounds two nights ago." She takes a deep breath before continuing, "The Fernals took my family, much like they have yours as well. Whether or not they killed them or seperated you in some way, I assure you this will not last for longer."

"We're running out of time, Del. Hurry up." Someone else warns, their voice fainter but still picked up by the mic.

Delta takes another deep breath and continues in a fiercer voice. "People of the world, I call you to action! Do what you can to fight back! Stay strong, stay together, and do not let them break you!"

"Turn that off!" One of the Fernal overlords bellows at another one.

Delta's not finished. "It's time to rise up! There will be no standing down! I swear, by every ounce of blood and fire I have in my body, by my own sword, I will not stop until every single Fernal is gone! You hear that, General Avarok? The line is in the sand, and I am not going to be the one backing away! You wanted war? Well, you're getting one!" There's a beeping sound. "ALL IT TAKES IS ONE EMBER. AND YOU WON'T STOP US EVER AGAIN."

The signal cuts off, and I glance at Arielle. She's staring up at the moon, the silvery light highlighting her eyes brilliantly as if she's some sort of moon goddess. "We can do this." She whispers, meeting my gaze confidently. There's a renewed fire in her eyes. I nod, and feel a smile split my face. She smiles back, and I can hear whispered murmurs passing around the field.

Evan~ Cape Elizabeth Slave Camp, Maine

"YOU WON'T STOP US EVER AGAIN."

Delta's last words echo through the snow-coated field, and I huddle deeper in my foxhole. Everyone is dead silent, terrified of what the Fernals will do if they find any of us. Who the hell is General Avarok, anyways? I wonder, frowning as I bunch my flannel sleeping bag around me. The cold nips at my nose and ears like it always does, and a thin layer of frost coats the ground outside. It's only mildly warmer inside, and I take a shuddery breath. When I exhale, it billows out in a miniature cloud around me, and I sigh as I remember the past, when I used to make videos with Michael and Arielle and the others in Los Angeles. I haven't seen them in nearly three years. I wonder if they're even still alive.

Will Delta and her group make any change at all?

Tanner, Flynn, and Marta~ Gainesville Slave Camp, Florida

A warm wind blows across the camp, carrying with it the echoes of Delta's bold declaration. I glance at Flynn and Marta. There's a hopeful look on both their faces, and Marta' hand goes to her rounded stomach. The Fernals don't want us to have any sort of celebrations, so they were lucky to have their wedding and honeymoon before all of this happens.

It doesn't change the fact that they hurt Marta, though.

It doesn't change the fact that they were so determined to kill humans they'd kill someone whose parents were so excited she was going to be born.

Daringly, I send a secret scowl at one of the passing Fernals. If there was a chance for Marta and Flynn's unborn child to live without them lording over them...then we have to take it. I glance over at Flynn. He's watching Marta, but his eyes say the same exact thing that I'm thinking. He glances over at me and nods once, and I nod back at him.

"When you do fight back..." Marta begins, her voice barely above silence as she looks at both of us. "Then make sure you have Delta and her group with you..."

"I promise." Flynn replies, placing a kiss on his pregnant wife's forehead.

Derek and Pierce~ Manchester Slave Camp, United Kingdom

I glance over at Derek. He's laying on his back, still recovering from the brutal slashes they gave him two days ago. Now I know why they were more brutal than usual. They're scared of a revolt. I muse, brushing his bangs out of his eyes. "Thanks." He croaks, and I smile down at him.

"You shouldn't have done that for me, you know." I point out, and he grins at me.

"Maybe not. But why the hell not?" He chuckles, then winces. He bursts into a fit of horrible coughing, and I glance at the sky outside our little...shack-thing.

Delta, if you're going to come...please, do it soon. I'm not sure how much longer he can last without some real medical help...

Simon and Sonia~ Havana Slave Camp, Cuba

Sonia and I are watching the dawn when the announcement comes on. Normally, they're pretty lax on when we should and shouldn't be in bed. "Everyone, inside!" One of them orders rather loudly, clearly stressed.

But what could he possibly be scared of?

We're in Cuba, not near Califnornia. And from the sound of it, I don't think Delta's going to be coming over to use anytime soon. Despite this eating away at me, Sonia and I head back inside our lean-to. It doesn't hold up well against rain or hurricanes or floods, but it works to keep the sun and...venomous animals out, so it's somewhat worth it. In a way.

"Do you think they're actually going to be able to do it?" Sonia asks once we're inside. I glance at her. She looks even more terrified than the day we thought we were going to be killed by the Fernals. Something stopped them, but I still don't know what it was. Part of me doesn't want to.

"I don't know, Sonia. But I know one thing. If they do get here..." I smile at her confidently, which is something I actually don't feel myself. But she smiles, uncertainly, but at least she's smiling. "Actually, when they get here, we are going to be free again. And we'll be free until the day we die."

She leans into me and closes her eyes, head on my shoulder. "Then that's enough for me. And I'll wait as long as I need to."

So will I... I smile down at her quietly, waiting for the Fernals to call us to whatever they need us to do today.

[A/N: And that's it for today, I guess! Two chapters in one day isn't too bad, right? (Even if one's really short...) Anyways, I'll be back tomorrow, but it may not be a super-long chapter. This one I'm going to probably write out tonight, because I have a lot of stuff I want to write too! I hope you liked it, and if I got anything wrong please let me know, but not in a rude way.]