Hanna and Jenna

I remember that day I had held my daughters in my arms and whispered their names. So small they both were, loud too, but with a feeling of overwhelming love and joy, I knew it was all worth it.

I would never look back and wish I hadn't met him if it meant they weren't going to be in my life. No, never.

"They are beautiful, May." My doctor I had gotten close to over the months, said. "Just beautiful."

Then somehow time flew by and before me, lay my two children in a pile of leaves we raked together.

Their hair, a gorgeous walnut brown, flew with the wind as they stood and ran after our golden lab. I watched with a smile on my lips and joy in my eyes. Now I understood the love of a mother. It all made sense now.

"Hanna! Jenna!" I called and they turned to look at me. "Come on inside! I'll start dinner now."

They made it a race to the back door. It was a tie but they both believed they had won and not the other child.

I had set up dinner and placed it in the stove when screaming came from another room. With fear of the worse, I ran to them.

On the floor was Hanna, pinned by her sister. Their faces and fingers covered in paint. With an innocence they glanced up, showing off their bright hazel eyes.

"I'd rather make a cake with you two then see paint on the carpet." We laughed and I remember seeing poor Fernando with paint on his fur. He was washed and cleaned up, as were the girls.

We made brownies that night. Their small hands and determined faces made it easier to make the brownies. But it was just as messy.

The next week that followed was their field trip to a museum. I remember that day so clearly.

As I was driving to the school to pick them up, their bus and my car ended up at the same intersection at the same time.

Hanna, with her bright blue shirt, saw me and waved. Soon Jenna came to the window and did the same. I waved back, smiling as I always did.

The bus moved, lurching the girls forward. For a moment I didn't see them but then they popped up and laughed. It wasn't hard to imagine their laugh mixing in with the voice of the other children on the bus.

Then everything slowed down as a semi flew past my car and rammed into the bus. I witnessed as my daughters flew back from the impact.

I screamed.

The bus turned to it's side as I jumped out of my car. People were already calling for help but I was just standing there. Watching helplessly as the semi took the bus with it. Metal scraped against pavement with an agonizing sound. The truck then swerved off the road and flipped, crashing into trees. The yellow bus was laying diagonally across the road. No cry for help came. I saw no one getting out. Everything had stopped.

"Hanna?" I forced my legs to move, they needed me. "Jenna?"

I yanked on the emergency door and somehow it opened. There was so much blood on the side of where the pavement was at. A kid was crying as I walked further up.

He was Thomas, I remembered. Jenna had a crush on him.

His leg was stuck and his arm was bent. Taking care, I pulled out his leg, avoiding the piece of glass in it. "You'll be okay now."

I carried him out. A man looked at me as I laid Thomas down on the road. "Please. Watch him."

The man nodded as the paramedics pulled up. I headed back to the bus and found four more children alive. I was exiting when I noticed a green backpack with a cloud sticker on it. Hanna liked the clouds and the color green, too.

My eyes scanned her body. She lay with her neck bent and blood coming out of her arm, where a bone had popped out. Her face was pale and her usually bright eyes had turned dull, lifeless.

Tears streamed down my face. Then I saw Jenna.

Kind Jenna. Her leg was twisted and blood covered half her face. An arm had gotten trapped under the bus. Closer I moved and realized her arm was not connected to her body at all.

I gripped the child in my arms tight and rushed out. Someone took her out of my hands. Walking slowly, I moved to the middle of the road.

A paramedic came over to me. "Miss? Are you okay?"

I looked to his face. "My kids were in there. Now they're dead. I didn't see anyone else alive. No one."

"I'm sorry," he muttered. I don't remember much after that. Except when they pulled them out and zipped them up in a bag.

I had cried in public. But somebody hugged me and rocked me in their arms.

~~

Their graves lay side by side each other, as I'm sure they would have wanted it. Nine years I had them and each of those days I had with them are treasured in my heart.

My beautiful Jenna and Hanna. Both so bright and just as smart.

"Can you hear me, girls?" I whispered, "because I want to tell you something.

"Mommy loves you. Both of you. And I hope you're still just as happy, if not happier."

******

Idk I made this so I could just do some short things. Things to pass time.

What do you think of it?

I think I'll have to edit this again but I'm tired now.

Goodnight

Comment ×

or

Star (maybe)