20

"Dinner was great." I smiled as I placed my wine down.

"I'm glad you like it."

"I almost missed it." I laughed. "My ex, was being a bit complicated." I explained to him.

"Oh. I wouldn't have mind if we had to bring, Rowan?"

"Yeah. No. It's fine. As long as I'm back by eight fifteen all should be good."

"Are we on curfew?" Luke teased at me.

"As a single mother with strict bedtimes, yes." I grinned. It didn't really matter if Rowan slept in tomorrow, I don't have to rush to work since I'm on holiday and Ashley is there.

"How is your little sabbatical going?"

"Good. I've caught up, finally, but I want to get in front of my deadline." Dessert was just getting served and I couldn't help but laugh at the two slices of cheesecake plated in front of us. "Cheesecake?" I grinned.

"Well, yeah."

I heard my phone vibrating in my bag and I felt slightly annoyed. "Excuse me. I'm sorry."

"Oh, no. Go ahead." Luke offered as I opened my bag.

I rolled my eyes. Of course it's Ryder. I answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Where are you?" He growled out.

I quickly looked up at Luke. "I'm sorry." I mouthed as I got up and walked away. "None of your business. What's wrong?"

"I think Rowan is sick."

I stilled. "What? What do you mean? Does he have a fever?"

"No, he is vomiting everywhere." Ryder told me. "I tried ringing your house phone."

"Where are you?" I asked frantically.

"At the hospital."

My eyes went wide. "You took him to a hospital?" I groaned out. "Alright. I'm coming now." I hung up and went back to the table. "I'm so sorry, Luke. I have to go. My son isn't well." I picked up my bag.

"Well, would you like me to take you home?" Luke offered.

"Oh no. I'll cab it."

"I insist."

I felt so bad. "If you must. But I'm not going home. I have to go to the hospital."

Luke shot up and escorted me to the car. "Is it serious?" He asked me.

I wasn't sure. "I doubt it." I whispered, but I was concerned.

The drive to the hospital felt so long, but it was only a couple minutes in reality. I tapped my fingers nervously on the interior of the car door and as soon as Luke stopped the car, I was out and straight to the entry.

I took my phone and rang Ryder.

"Where about are you?" I demanded.

"Are you at the hospital?"

I just wanted to yell at him. "Yes! Now where are you?"

"In the short stay section." I hung up before Ryder could say any more and turned to Luke.

"I'm sorry our date was cut short."

"It's okay. At least you have a legit reason. I'll call you later."

I gave him a small laugh. "Okay. I better go."

I gave Luke a quick kiss and turned down to the hall leading to short stay. Half running to the desk there, an old nurse looked up to me.