22

Flashback
Rhea looked wide eyed at the scene around her. The Big Apple. The buildings were tall, the streets loud and busy, the roads covered in yellow taxis.

Keeping her hands firm on the pram, Rhea felt overwhelmed. Gabriel had to work today, she had students to assess. But that didn't bother Rhea.

She had gone shopping in some of the world's best known shops. It took her even longer than she wanted as she had constantly had to mentally convert American dollars and Australian dollars. But now she needed to find Central Park. Rowan, only thirteen months old was fast asleep in the pram, oblivious to the sight around him.

Sighing, she asked a stranger for directions and was shrugged off by them. Determined, she went to someone else, another person pushing a pram. Maybe they will be more welcoming.

"Excuse me?" I called to her as she sat at a bench. The lady looked up at her. "Which way to Central Park?"

The lady gave her a small but warm smile. "Down that way." She pointed. "Stay on 8th Avenue. You can't miss it."

Rhea gave her a smile. "Thank you." She started walking, fastening her pace. She had to meet Gabriel at a certain spot when Gabriel finished work and she didn't want to be late and admit that she got lost.

Now
"What?" Gabriel screeched over the phone. "Are you taking it?"

I sighed as I played with my wine glass. "I don't know. I threatened Ryder I will. He doesn't know where or when. All I said was a different country."

"The call is yours." Gabriel said in a calmer voice.

"I know. But it's not now. I've involved Ryder and unfortunately, he also has a say. 50% of a say, in fact."

"Oh darling. What's he going to do if you just pack up and leave?"

"I can't. Not yet anyway. I have to renew Rowan's passport. He has changed a bit from last time I got him one." I took a sip. "Besides, Ryder threatened me about getting a temp custody order to prevent me taking Rowan. I'm not leaving him."

"Maybe you can get granted the right to leave." Gabriel insinuated.

"Not on the grounds that I just want to get away from him. I mean, he isn't violent, or abusive, or a threat in anyway."

"But for your career, you might get to."

"Maybe." I breathed out as I topped up my wine glass. "But a part of me doesn't want to go and do it."

"Are some old feelings resurfacing?"

"No!" I snapped. "From what I've seen so far, Ryder is a great dad. Rowan adores him and they have created this bond, a father and son bond and I don't want to destroy that."

"Because of Ryder? Or Rowan?"

"Because of Rowan." I groaned out. "I knew this would come and kick me in the butt."

I heard Gabriel sigh. "Look, Rhea. The choice is yours whether you do this or not. I don't want you to come to New York just because of me."

"It won't be just because of you." I laughed nervously. "It will be nice to know someone there though."

"Yeah." Gabriel went silent for a few minutes.

"What's up?" I asked her.

"My contract with the school is up in a couple months."

"Didn't they offer you a new one?"

"Yeah, they did." I heard some noises in the background on the phone. "But I'm not taking it."