Shocks to the System

Late September 2014

Avery's POV

"I'm just saying," Ashley said with a laugh as I turned down Main Street heading towards my house. Pizza and wine were on the agenda for the night. Eli had their kids while Alex was hanging out with Mama Becky at her insistence. Told me that I looked like I needed a girl's night desperately. I glanced over at her from the driver's seat rolling my eyes. "Don't give me that look Aves. That man is gone for the weekend on the road and gladly left you the keys to the truck. One that none of the rest of us could even get behind the wheel of if we wanted to. He has got it bad for you."

"Whatever Ash. My SUV had that recall on it. He was just making sure I had a way to get to work since it will be Tuesday before he gets back," I snickered shaking my head as she grinned. I pointed at the console. "Dig in there and see if you can find me a piece of gum please. I think I left some in there a couple of weeks ago." I flipped through the radio stations tapping my fingers on the steering wheel. I grinned when I came across "Small Town Throwdown" playing.

Nora had thankfully been quiet the last few weeks. She'd read me the riot act after I got back from Philly. Of course, she'd shown up right as I got home from work that Monday and Alex nowhere in sight since he had spent the day with Brantley that day. A photo on social media had popped up Nora had been quick to point out. Of me allegedly drinking with Luke and Caroline with Alex not with me. I had calmly told her that it was one damn drink I was past the legal age and that my son had been within my eyesight. I had gotten her to leave right after thankfully. James had talked her into going somewhere out west.

Made my life a lot easier without her around breathing down my neck. Something she had been doing. Criticized everything from what I was feeding him to who I had him around. I had taken to staying out at Brantley's more during the week when he was home if they were in town. I could cut my phone off and with the gates locked no one could get in without the code. Hearing a gasp from Ashley pulled my eyes from the road. I looked over my best friend sitting there with her mouth wide open gaping at something in her hand. "You okay over there Ash?"

"HOLY SHIT!!!" she squealed bouncing in her seat. I tried to keep my eyes on the road wondering if she had finally lost her mind. "YES! YES!!!"

"Want to explain to me why you are acting like a complete spaz," I growled turning onto my street trying to figure out what was up with her. She shifted her hand where I could see what she was holding. Won't lie, I locked the brakes up on that Raptor right there in the middle of the road. Ashley shoved the black box with the twinkling....no blinding emerald and diamond ring right in my face. I turned pale as a ghost my hands trembling on the steering wheel. "What the fuck is that?"

"What the fuck does it look like Aves!" Ashley scoffed with a huge grin on her face

"What the fuck does it look like Aves!" Ashley scoffed with a huge grin on her face. "My God woman look at the size of that thing. Clearly says back off my woman is taken let me tell you."