#ChapterTwentyTwo

Start from the beginning

"i think this is the one

"i think this is the one. it's gorgeous." i say as i step from behind the curtain.
"oh marinette, you look amazing. i totally agree with you. it's perfect. alfredo really outdid himself with this one." mom said, beaming at me.
i looked at kitania out of the corner of my eye and i smile. i see her staring at me in astonishment.
"mari, you look beautiful. you simply cannot say yes to this dress." she says, mouth wide open. i blush and give a little giggle.
"this is the one. i love it. it's prefect!" i say and twirl around.
"okay. great. let's get you out of it and we'll send everyone off to bed. we have a. very busy day tomorrow." mom says and winks at me.
"kitania, come with me. i'll fetch amberle. she can help marinette dress herself for bed tonight." kitania nodded and followed my mother out of my room.
i sat on my bed and played with my kittens whilst i waited for amberle.

sabine pov*
"kitania, i need you to do me a favour." i said to my daughters maiden.
"anything, your majesty." she said politely. i've always liked kitania. i trust her way more than i trust amberle. amberle loves to party while kitania would rather stay home and read a book. shes always very polite and remembers her manners.
"i need you to look out for my daughter. she stresses easily, as you know, and i'm worried about her." i say, trying to hide the distress in my voice.
marinette stresses far more than she should. she doesn't trust herself or have faith in herself unlike i and her father do. sometimes, it causes problems. she used to refuse to speak at balls or formal dinners. she overthinks and goes into a panic mode and i simple won't allow that to happen tomorrow.
"of course. the princess can be a handful at times when it comes to her panicking haha. but don't worry. amberle and i will look out for her tomorrow and make sure that everything's in order. it will go just how you plan. i give you my word, your majesty." she says, giving me a warm smile.
"thankyou, kitania. now, if you don't mind, can you go fetch amberle to take care of marinette for tonight? i would but i must retire to my own chambers before the school children see me." i return kitanias warm smile before heading off to my bedroom.

marinette pov*
"what am i going to do plagg? it's my coronation tomorrow. everyone is going to find out i'm the princess-" tikki interrupted my meowing. i suddenly realized what she said.
"sorry tikki. everyone's going to find out in the QUEEN of china. i have too many responsibilities and jobs to do. i won't be able to finish my education in paris or see my friends ever again. and don't even get me started on the whole marriage thing, which is next week might i just add." i sigh and roll onto my stomach.
"what do you guys think?" i say to plagg and tikki. they just stare at me. tikki gave me another meow before plagg got up and pounced on top of my back.
i gave a happy chuckle before laying my head on top of my hands. tikki came and nudged her face against my nose.
"i love you guys." i took plagg off my back and sat up.
a knock on the door interrupted my play time with the cats.
"come in?" i shout quietly. it must be amberle. i must say, it's been a while since mother and kitania left. i would've thought that amberle would've been here in seconds.
"hey, princess." i knew that voice.
"james?!" i say, in shock. whats he doing here??
"yeah, it's me. don't worry, no one saw me come in." he chuckled slightly. for some reason, it made me more anxious than relieved that no one saw he was in my room.
"what are you doing here?" i ask, smoothing my clothes over to make myself look the slightest bit presentable.
"i was on a tour around the castle and someone mentioned that this was the princess' room and i just had to take a look. nice crib." he flashed me a smile. i couldn't help but smile back.
"um thanks. you...you haven't told anyone? that i'm the princess right?" i ask, nervously.
"of course not. i know you want to keep it a secret. well, until tomorrow that is. how are you feeling about that?" he asked. i pat down beside me on my bed, trying to be polite. he happily walked over and sat beside me. plagg and tikki seemed not to like him and they quickly hurried off to the other side of the room where their beds are.
"i mean. i'm nervous i suppose but i'm excited too. i won't have to hide this massive secret however, i'm scared that my classmates might hate me for hiding such a secret. although, i am eager to see this one girls face. her name is chloe. she's the class bully and i'm her favorite target." i smile.
"bully? you know you could just call your bodyguards and they would sort her out straight away right?" he asked.
"well yes. but that would be a bit over the top and a massive give away. plus, there are spies literally everywhere i go. whether they're to keep an eye on me for safety reasons or to plot against me and have me either killed or the throne taken away from me. if suddenly two buff guys go over to some teenaged girl and ask her to stop bullying the princess or she'll face some serious consequences, they'd suspect something." i shrugged my shoulders.
my whole life, there have been spies around me. in fact, one of my chemistry teachers, ms mendeleiev was a spy working for the unknown group of attackers until cole and josh found out and had a stern talking with her. now she's just your regular science teacher who knows more than she should.
"well still. did you end up having a word with her? telling her to back off and leave you alone?" james asked me.
"sometimes i'll lose my temper a bit and tell her off of her behavior i suppose. but more often than not, i'll just ignore her and carry on with my day." i turn towards him and cross my legs.
"better than nothing i suppose. so what's the plan for tomorrow? is there anything big happening for your coronation?" he asked me, curiously. i didn't really want to give much away incase the attackers had bugged my room from when they last attacked. and plus, i had a plan ready to surprise everyone including my parents.
"well. i mean i do have some special guests coming. and obviously extra security but don't worry they'll be practically invisible. i guess i could tell you that at the ball there's going to be some events happening so everyone won't be bored, dancing all night. in paris, there are lots of carnivals and festivals that's take place all around the country, not just i. paris. i planned for some rides to be outside so that everyone can have fun. plus, the food is going to be to die for!" i laugh. i'm really excited for it.
"it sounds great, marinette." he smiled sadly at me.
"you look sad. are you okay?" i asked him, putting my hand on top of his to give him comfort.
"i don't think i'm able to attend the coronation." he looked down at his lap.
"what? why?" i asked. i really wanted james to be there. he's such a nice guy and i think that over time we could actually be really good friends.
"it's my father. he's not the biggest fan of the royal family and when i suggested that you had invited me, he said maybe and it's looking as if i won't be able to come." he looked at me with sad eyes.
"no. you're coming. i'll even send out some guards to invite him to the coronation too. even though, it's a bit last minute." i smile at him reassuringly.
"you would really do that for me?" he returned my smile.
"of course. what are friends for?" i said before he tackled me into a hug.
"thank you so much!" he released me before standing up.
"it is getting rather late though so i really should get going. have an amazing day marinette, i'll be there supporting you all the way." he waved before leaving the bedroom.
i sigh to myself before amberle stumbles into my room.
"i'm so sorry i'm late mari. i had some business to sort out but i'm here and i'm ready to get you ready for your last night as a princess. how you feeling?" she asked me with a bright, excited smile.
"much better than i was before." all thanks to james.