“She’s your date. Go be with her.”

“El’s not my date.” Mike laughed boldly, throwing his head back. “You’re kidding, right?”

“She kissed you.” Will said, although hesitant in case his eyes had deceived him. “I saw it.”

“Okay.” Mike nodded, eyes still squinted. “And what does that mean?”

What did it mean? It meant that Will was too late. He hadn’t kept his feelings trapped and his mouth shut and missed the window to tell his best friend that he wasn’t like the rest of them. That he was exactly what his father had said he was. Will was hoping at the dance, he’d tell Mike, say he’d like to dance with him and Mike would smile and say that he’d like to. Mike would tell him that he was still his best friend and that nothing had changed. Will wanted to be reassured that he could be honest and still be loved at the same time. Instead, he was remembering why there were no stories where people like him were happy– they just weren’t.

“She likes you.”

“She did.” Mike said with a short laugh. “We’re kind of just friends now.”

Will tucked his hands under his arms, trying to preserve heat and divide himself from Mike. “You don’t have to lie.”

“Will, I’m not.” Mike grabbed his arms and pulled them from his body. Will fought back but eventually let Mike untangle his arms and grip his hands. “We’re just friends, Will. She’s different than us.”

“Us?” Will echoed. His breath fogged out in front of him, mixing with Mike’s own exhale.

“Us. We’re different friends.” Mike said, hands still tightly wrapped around Will’s. “My stomach doesn’t flip when I look at El.”

“I–It doesn’t?”

“It doesn’t have butterflies either.” Mike shook his head and shuffled closer to Will, their footprints ruining the crisp blanket of snow. “Only you do that.” Will was glad he had kept his mouth shut so long; Mike was saying everything so much better.

Will had to act like he wasn’t gasping for air, finally able to breath and making it out alive after all. “Mine too.”

“Sorry I didn’t dance with you instead of her.” Mike admitted, looking down at his feet. He stared like they were tainted, shuffling around the wrong partner to a cursed melody. “I was scared.”

“I am too.” Will admitted, breath still wrapping around Mike’s face.

“Is it too late?” Mike asked, peering up from his shoes. “For that dance. Is it too late?”

“No.” Will said, shaking his head. “No, it’s not.”

The music was dim, only audible through the walls of the school, but they could still find the beats needed to dance. They couldn’t decide who was supposed to hold the other’s shoulders or waist, so they both held each other by the waist. Neither of them really knew what to do, or how to lead, so they shuffled in the same two spots. They were shivering but smiling with pink cheeks and red noses. It was all Will could have wanted. Bone chilling cold and all, he was finally having the night he had dreamed.

“I’m sorry I made you come outside.” Will said, looking down at Mike’s trembling hands still on his waist. “I shouldn’t have run out. I-I was being stupid.” There was a flourishing heat crawling up his neck and making him feel like he was sweating despite the freezing temperature.

“You’re not stupid.” Mike said firmly, lifting his hands from Will’s waist to hold his shoulders. “Nothing about this is stupid.”

“It’s just a crush though–”

“It’s not a crush if I feel the same way.” Mike said, his fogged breath blowing past Will’s nose, both of them inching closer in the cold. “It’s not stupid.”

Will stared up at Mike, his lips blue and teeth chattering in the wind. His eyes closed and Will thought it was concealing a regretful spark in his eyes. Mike was hiding the truth from him, maybe just to protect his feelings– a crush was pretty stupid. Will didn’t expect Mike, with his closed eyes and suddenly held breath, to begin leaning in towards him. Will panicked, Mike moving slow enough to give Will a fraction of a second to freeze and run through every possible thought he had ever had on the topic– should he kiss him? Push him away? Pretend he didn’t notice? Admit he had never kissed anyone? Will closed his eyes slowly, shutting off his last comfort, before leaning forward himself.

Will’s lips were completely numb, but he could definitely feel Mike’s smile curling against his lips. He wasn’t actually sure how his first kiss felt due to the extreme cold, but he was sure it was the happiest moment of his life– for the both of them. Mike pulled away slightly, they're forheads still touching and smiled a happy, relived smile like he couldn't beleive this was happening. Will could only imagine that his expression mirrored Mike's. His heart was beating so fast he thought it might explode.

                            Mike
Mike watched as will opened his big hazel eyes and could have sworn he almost died. They were so close they're foreheads almost bumped together, and he could admire the small boy who's eyes just couldnt decide whether to be green or brown.
In those eyes he could see that they were glazed over and stary as he gazed at mike dreamily. "You- you really are a dream mike. J-just.." He trailed off, eyebrows drawn together in confusion. "Wha-" he started again, huffing in annoyance. Mike wondered why it was so hard for him to focus on anything but how close they were standing together and his fingers itched to remove a few strands that had fallen into wills face. "Will?" Mike spoke in a reassuring way. "You can tell me anything." Will looked at mike helplessly. His eyes pooled with tears as he suddenly let out a sob. Mike was taken aback for a moment before pulling Will to his chest and kissing the top of his head. Wills body shook in his arms and the front of his dress shirt was wet by the smaller boys tears. "Why do you even l-like me" he choked out. "Someone like y-you with someone like m-me? That just doesn't happen." He spoke about himself with what seemed like disgust. Mike furrowed his brows in concern and confusion. "Why do you think that?! Someone like you? You mean someone who is smart, loving, sensitive, putting everyone else before himself and completely adorable?" Mike spoke in a soft but powerful voice, his eyes searching Wills for anything that could let him know he ment what he had just said. Will held eye contact with wide eyes, his mouth parted slightly, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. Mike finally let himself do what he had wanted to do for a while and removed the strands from wills face and wipping the lingering tears. He settled his hand on Wills face, his thumb grazing his bottom lip and fingers gently rested on wills jaw.

Will spoke in a barely audible whisper as he said, "i just can't believe this is happening." Mikes thumb sweeped over wills lips, feeling the warm air coming out of his lips and gently tracing the shape. He heard wills breathing hitch as mike inched even closer, they're lips grazing slighgly and noses bumping lightly. Mike closed his eyes as he felt the gentle, warm pressure of wills lips on his. He parted his lips as he soom after felt will do the same. Mike heard will make a content little sigh. He hadn't realised how much passion he had been kissing with unti he felt Will wrap his arms around his neck holding on for support as his knees buckled. Mike kept one hand on wills head and wrapped his other arm around his waist. Mike smiled and pulled away slightly, still gripping his waste tighy. He watched Wills flushed face as his eyes flutter open and he looks dazed. Will kisses mike lightly one last time before wispering against his lips.

"I love you Mike Wheeler."

"I love you Will Byers"