Chapter 12 Bertia (17 years old)[1]

Start from the beginning

"Cecil-sama..."

I faced forward to indicate that I considered our conversation over, and her palm grasped my hand tightly as she called out to me with her small voice, as if wanting me to face her.

My mind was actually flooded with how I wanted to ignore her, but sensing that her voice was filled with an imploring tone, I couldn't stand it and turned towards her.

If it was just anyone, I would be able to ignore them whether they cried, raised their voice in anger or smiled. But only her voice—I somehow couldn't leave it alone, and I felt like I must not ignore her at all.

After I turned my gaze, I tilted my head and asked her, "What's wrong?" She swallowed her saliva and gripped my palm harder as if she was readying herself, and then she opened her mouth.

"...Ce-Cecil-sama, w-what... do you think... about me?"

Her resilient eyes were staring at me as if she was trying to probe into my true feelings. I spontaneously widened my eyes at her words that she asked with her trembling voice.

By no means had I ever anticipated that I would be hearing those words at a time like this.

"Tia?"

When I tried to examine her expressions in order to confirm what kind of intentions she had in mind when she asked that question, her body slightly jumped as if she was frightened of something.

"..."

When I gazed at her amber eyes, there were tears slightly welling up.

Looking at her tightly pursed lips, I somehow felt like [I had to quickly answer her].

"I think that Tia is very adorable. You're so adorable and..."

"Graduates, enter!!"

[You're so adorable and my precious fiancée].

The voice announcing the entrance of the graduates resounded within the hall as if it interrupted my voice which wanted to tell her that.

At the same time, the huge door to the hall was loudly opened with a heavy sound.

...Time limit.

While those words floated in my mind, I put my lips near Bertia's ears and told her, "I will tell you the rest later on," and turned my face to the front.

Just before entering the assembly hall, I glanced at her for a peek at her expression, and... for some reason, she was looking my way with an empty and lonesome smile on her face.

I was desperately worried about that expression, but time didn't wait for me and just like that, I didn't have any other choice than to begin walking in silence.

As royalty and as the current Student Council President of Halm Academy, I have to be a model for the other students and need to behave myself confidently in public places.

Seeing that it is a duty imposed on me, no matter how much I care about Bertia, it's not allowed for me to make her a priority.

Therefore, I regretted a bit that I cut off the time I was able to speak with Bertia before the entrance began for a reason like [I don't want to talk about any unpleasant things].

The announcement of the party's opening.

The congratulatory words from my father, the king, towards all the graduates.

My greetings as the representative of the graduates.

The medal conferment given as the commemoration of the graduation.