"Hello young Sir, would you like to buy this pristine, state of the art, arm clock?"

"Oh no thank you Sir, I'm fi-"

"Hey Mr, would ya like a new fishing rod?!"

"I'm fi-"

"Would you like to try our new belts? Buy one get one free!"

"Oh I'm-"

"What about some beautiful jewellery for your girlfriend at home?"

"I don't have a girlfriend thank y-"

"BEADS SIR!"

"Pleas-"

"CABBAGES!!"

"I-"

Throughout all the yelling and failed attempts at trying to escape, (your name) almost didn't notice the small tug at his back pocket. (Your name) quickly grabbed the snatchers hand in a vice grip, only to rewarded with a young child crying out. The child was no older than eight and had light brown skin, short brown hair and earth kingdom green eyes, very large earth kingdom green eyes. The irises had grown bigger, fear evident in them.

"I'm sorry Sir, please don't take me to-"

"What's your name?"

"I'm sorry-"

"What's your name?"

The boy trembled but he couldn't escape the grip that was on his arm.

"I'm...I'm Ling."

"Where are your parents?"

The young boy seemed to deflate almost entirely. "Father died three years ago and mother was hurt in a work accident, she can't work for the next month until her leg is fully healed. That's why I was trying to get money. I'm sorry Sir, it won't happen again."

(Your name) sighed, his grey-green eyes softening. "Here."

(Your name) pulled the small purse out of his pocket, he twisted the boys arm so that the palm is facing up, then (your name) emptied the full contents of the purse into the boys hand.

"That should last you up to six weeks, more than enough for your mother and yourself to live on, at least until your mother gets better. Now be off with you."

The young boy looked at the coins in his hands in amazement, then his eyes glossed over with unshed tears that seemed to quite suddenly populate his eyes. "T-thank you Sir."

(Your name) ruffled the boys hair slightly as he stood up. "Go back to your mother, she needs you." (Your name) turned towards the shop keepers, turning the purse downwards. "Look, I have nothing. NOTHING."

All the shop keepers groaned as they turned back around and went back to their stalls.

(Your name) felt something hug his legs, followed by a small "thank you." Then the pressure around his legs was released. (Your name) looked behind him to see the small tuft of brown hair running through the crowd, the money held tightly in both of his hands. (Your name) smiled grimly. Of course the boy and his mother would be fine finachially, but what was (your name) to do now?

(Your name) kept walking, not exactly walking to any particular place. He now had the hassle of needing to make money. What was he going to do? Maybe he could work in a small shop.

(Your name) saw something from the corner of his eye, seeing a poster pasted on a brick wall. It advertised the underground fights he had heard of, where benders would defeat other elemental bender opponents for money. Maybe he could participate in those...

Your Choice:

2a) Work in the underground bending tournaments, you get paid more money than the average person but there is high risk of injury, especially fatal ones.

2b) Find work in a shop, you get paid substantially less than a fighter in the underground tournaments would but there is far less chance of injury, plus there is a chance you may get short term housing with the resident(s) who owns the shop.

Make your choice for next chapter please. Thank you.

Words: 1342

...