Part 38 The Diary

Inside the common room of Gryffindor, late that night, with every intention of returning the book to him as soon as possible, you scrolled through the mysterious, infamous diary of Tom Riddle who surprisingly hadn't even put a proper defence charm on it.

You skimmed through the pages, spotting every normal and twisted curse or potion word for word. As expected, there was a bunch of experiments on all kinds of forbidden things, however there was nothing about his origin, nothing about the basilisk or him being a pathological liar and a murderous sociopath.
And maybe he just wanted you to see it. Could he have just hidden a few things from you then? He might only have let you see what he wanted you to see.

Your fingers turned through page after page until something caught your eye.

"I could see her so irritated by me interacting with that annoying silver muck, it was quite amusing. Why are those fools always asking me for more."

'silver muck' - was he referring to Lizzie? The same girl who physically harassed you and got thrown out of the school?

Skipping to a different page, you briefly read through it

"I couldn't help but feel responsible for what happened to <y/n>. All I can say is how. I don't give a damn about anyone but it always itches me when something happens to her. When I glanced upon that bruised face I felt loathe towards the harasser"

He wrote about you and wanted you to read it. As expected, he didn't write too much in it but the dark experiments he had written all over already, surely didn't make him a saint.

You felt embarrassed to read it as you flipped for more. However, it drew you in like a drug.

"That brainless fools' sympathy for <y/n> drives me insane, he is getting on my nerves anytime he shows his envy of her but I like to see him in such torture for a mere thought of <y/n> admiring me instead."

As expected, Tom enjoyed the pain Sirius felt as he knew Black had a feelings for you.

"During the dance I felt a rush tingle through my veins when I saw her dance with him. What an absolute joke. I had to get in between, unsure if my actions were to torture Sirius Black or feed my own ego with her flustered presence."

The more you read the more you'd feel conflicted inside. But the further you got the more you started ignoring all the cons of the book - his real intentions about bringing the whole world down to his knees.

Finally, you came across the latest update in his diary - the most recent handwritten paragraphs flashed in dry ink

"I did not expect much from attending her familys' Christmas dinner. However, the longer I stayed the more I felt like I was finally accepted. After being an orphan for so long it surely would be understandable. I cannot help but begin to slowly loathe myself. What was happening to me."

Your eyes widened to see the last bit

"It's like she's become an artefact that I no longer can sacrifice. Was fun to play around but now I am seriously reconsidering on destroying her for my first horcrux."

Your heart dropped. It was the era he already knew about horocruxes. It was bad. Really bad. With the basilisk released, tenths or hundreds muggleborns among the mists and a murderer freshly escaped from azkaban, out for blood, you had a feeling inside your guts warning you that something big and threatening is about to happen.

Not to forget that Lily was still pure, cold stone. No witness to anything. You needed to gather your thoughts, think of the past. The first proper victim of the basilisk was Myrtle. If you could somehow stop it, it would stop Riddle from making his first horocrux and stop him from getting his first drop of blood. Or else the whole world will once again feel the never ending crave he had for power.

It didn't make any sense. Some events were not adding up already, it's like your presence was slowly forming a paradox.

That night you had to go to sleep in deep worry. So many things did not add up and you knew there were far more secrets than written in there which he probably deliberately has hidden. He let you see what he wanted you to see. But why?