Part 35 Xmas Dinner part 1

After crossing multiple lit up roads in late evening, when it wasn't bright nor dark and the street lights dazzled the eyes, there laid one particular house covered in thick snow. Its' lights illuminated from the inside to the outside through its' windows as the christmas lights flickered around the roof. You and Tom had been standing outside the door, about to ring the bell.

The two of you had changed into normal clothes prior to your arrival, ones that wouldn't make you extraordinary so you'd blend in with the local muggles. However, the most normal clothes Tom owned were black. So he threw on a knee length, thick coat; black, long sleeved shirt and black trousers which made him look mysteriously posh. Especially when his hair was perfectly brushed and adjusted as his fringe laid above his handsome features.

Tom was either disturbed or confused about all the muggle Christmas decorations that were set up around the house. Not only were there christmas lights covering the roof and windows, but the door had a big, green wreath with a massive, red ribbon as the yard itself owned a large snowman made out of glass, which was cross-eyed, looking at its only glowing part - the carrot nose.

"This place is unsettling." - Tom adjusted the collar of his shirt, inspecting the glowing colours and looking absolutely appalled by them.

"Remember to act well. Even if they don't meet your criteria, please try and be charming, I'm sure you're very good at that."

Tom nodded out of politeness. You took a deep breath and rang the doorbell. Even from the outside you could hear the tune for "Hallelujah" echo around and Tom shot an even more disgusted frown. You gave him a brief glance of 'yikes'.

A very old lady opened the door. Her short, white hair and brown, round glasses she freshly adjusted the golden chain of, were hanging around her shoulders. Her bright, red Christmas sweater, knitted out of wool, covered most of her upper body as her green, knee-length, tight skirt covered the veins on her legs. It was pretty clear that was your grandmother.

"OH MY, <Y/N>!!!!!!!!" - she screamed so loudly it even almost disturbed the neighbours. It made you and Tom jump in shock with your eyes wide open. "LOOK AT HOW YOU'VE GROWN!!" - without any warning, she hugged you tight for a solid minute.

When she let go she turned to Tom "And WHO IS this YOUNG MAN!" - she stretched out her arms to hug Tom but before she could, Tom stopped her with a christmas cake he's been holding as a gift. He stretched it out to her, avoiding the hug.

"AWH, that's LOVELY! Thank you so much, kind, young man" - she flashed her old dentures at Tom "Come in! Come in!" - she basically pushed you inside the house then was about to push Tom in, however, he rushed in himself before she would touch his back.

As you led Tom to the living room, he nudged you with his elbow and whispered quietly "Now I know why you grew up so irritating"

You sassily smiled "ouch"

The main room was so cosy to look at. In the middle of the room stood a colossal table that had the ability to seat over 8 people. A soft cashmere table cloth laid down on it with small Christmas plates on top as a giant, lit candle was placed down in the middle.

The side of the room had a giant, white fireplace with picture frames above it. The other side had a white bookshelf and a tall, green christmas tree covered in blue and red decorations.

There was a massive, red carpet placed on the ground which covered the wooden floor directly below the food table. The red and white wallpaper blended in well with the Christmas theme too.

It took some time for Tom to get used to the house and the people. Your father seemed to express his satisfaction through a handshake with Riddle as if it was some sort of judgement. Your mother forced a hug on him with her tight grip. Your aunt and her husband only greeted him with flashing smiles as their two children ran around the house playing 'tag'. It wasn't clear how Tom was feeling towards this. Clearly he's never seen a family as lively and happy in one place. But he did feel sometimes like he didn't belong.

When everyone sat down for Christmas dinner and your mother delivered hot chocolate with marshmallows and whipped cream for you, Tom and your aunt's kids, Riddle shot a confused glance at the drink of muggles.

Your mother placed a gigantic, roast turkey in the middle of the table. The smell of fruit cake and cookies overpowered the smell of beef wellington and ham. She gently grabbed a huge, warm pot full of eggnog from the kitchen and with great care placed it next to the turkey.

When one of the children tried to grab a piece of fruit cake, their mother gently slapped their arms "Not before the prayers." - she then grabbed the hands of her kids and husband who locked hands with the rest of the family sat around the table, including you and Tom.

When they began to say their prayers, everyone including you closed their eyes except Tom whose eyes have been wandering around the room in confusion and refusal to pray. No matter if you were religious or not - that was the tradition that your auntie has set many years ago and hence why you respected it.

Finally, after the prayers were told, the feast had begun and everyone dug into whatever they wished.

With a mouth half full, your father gazed straight into Toms' eyes "So. How long have you been dating my daughter?"

You felt a piece of the turkey that you were eating get stuck in your throat as you began to cough and rushed to grab a glass of water before you'd choke to death.

Before Riddle could answer you intervened, wiping your lips with a napkin "W-we're not dating."

"Oh really?" - your father swallowed a chunk of ham before continuing "I already had some thoughts for your wedding."

You looked straight at his cheeky grin saying nothing. From the corner of your eye you noticed Tom smirking in entertainment.

The whole evening was full of laughter and chatter. Tom succeeded to charm your family. As this was happening you couldn't help but think - if Tom knew your parents from the time you've come from, would he still want to kill them?

When Tom volunteered to help your mother wash the dishes, the two of them excused themselves and set off into the kitchen.

"Clean this for me, hunny" - she handed Tom a mug that used to contain hot chocolate in it.

"No problem" - he rinsed it with tap water before grabbing a dry cloth for wiping, well aware he could not use magic outside the school.

They were taking care of the dishes in silence until your mother glanced at Toms' side profile, his gaze busy focusing on the mug "So how long have you known her for?"

"Over a couple months now." - he didn't divert his eyes off the mug

"I can tell she likes you" - your mother smiled

He paused in drying the cup, glanced at your mothers' grin, then flashed a short, small smile before focusing back on his objective.