Chapter 35

Two weeks with Zoya and Maahi was back to being alone in her house. She threw herself on the bed, the sheets were soft but being alone on a cozy bed didn't bring her much comfort. Thinking about Abhay, she grunted with annoyance. She reached out for her phone and glanced at the text messages between them. He was coming to meet her for two weeks – News that used to make her dance with joy were worrying her the most. She had to tell him this time. They have to move on.

In the past six months there did not a single day go by where Maahi and Oliver didn't talk. She told Oliver about his trip and that she might be a little late in replying to emails or calls. She also cancelled their Skype call for that week but mentioned nothing about what she was planning to do with Abhay. She did tell Zoya about her upcoming adventures.

'You cannot leave behind your entire life trusting someone you have just met online and not even in real life once.' Zoya has tried to convince her to go other way.

Zoya was right. Maahi was getting second thoughts. Although she never let her thoughts affect the way she spoke to Oliver, she wasn't sure what to do anymore either. Oliver loved her and he was willing to travel to India for her, he had told Maahi several times. Maahi even spoke to his mom and she told her how much her son was fond of her. While getting serious with Oliver she never thought of this day that could blow right on her face.

She was the girl who fell in love with her best friend's brother with whom she was no longer in love with, instead, she was falling for some foreigner sitting thousands of miles away, who she had never met. Stupid, right?

She tossed her phone on the bed, not in the mood to read any more messages. With a cigarette shoved between her lips and coffee mug in her hand she was staring at her laptop.

Dear Oliver,

Abhay is coming here next week. You know he doesn't know about us talking and all that. I will try my best to message you and talk to you whenever I can. I will try my best to leave behind an email daily. I hope you won't be angry with me. You know I love you very much and I adore your presence in my life. You stepped in at the darkest hour and lightened up my world.

Lots of love,

Maahi

'Cheers,' she said to no one.

And she faded back into her world of memories. She did not hate Abhay for being away or leaving her in this state. Soon after he left, their relationship started to descend. She saw a side of him she hadn't seen before.

Gaurav came to Bangalore to specially visit her but when he arrived at her house the atmosphere was already tense. Abhay gave him an uninviting smile and Maahi looked like as if she had spent the whole night crying. 'So, where are you staying while you are in town Gaurav?' Abhay popped the question, clearly indicating that he didn't want him to stay at their house.

'I have booked at a nearby hotel,', Abhay gave him a satisfied smile.

Later that day, when he met Maahi alone at the Baskin Robbins her face was caked full of foundation, more than usual.

'Close your eyes,' he told her. It was more of an order, so she did.

He wiped her left cheek with a napkin and she winced in pain, recoiling away from him. She was hiding a fresh bruise. Gaurav was already fuming.

'He did that? Didn't he?'

'No, of course not, I tripped on the stairs.'

'Really, Maahi? Really?' he shook his head in disappointment.