Chapter 6

Back in India, as she walked out of the Airport, her eyes searched for Raahil. But he wasn't there. Instead, waiting in the exit foyer, were Gaurav and Natasha. She smiled at Natasha and hugged Gaurav tightly, 'I missed you so much! Where is Raahil?' Gaurav somberly shook his head.

At home, Maahi waited for her parents to go to bed to confront Gaurav and Natasha, who had stayed to listen to their tales of France.

'What is it guys? Enough suspense, what is wrong?'

'Did you speak to Raahil?'

'No, I called him as soon as I arrived, but he didn't answer. I was expecting all of you at the airport. I thought Raahil would come as well. What's wrong Gaurav?? Tell me!' Her heart was dropping. She had a gut feeling back in Paris but she didn't want it to be true.

Is he ok? Was there an accident? Did he die? There was a train of thought in Maahi's head and she desperately wanted a moment alone with Gaurav and Natasha.

'We met Raahil at the Parker's Cinema,' Gaurav was trying hard not to look into her eyes. The words were not coming out of his mouth. Natasha stepped forward.

Maahi was listening...

'Your boyfriend is a total jerk. Gaurav did warn you. While you were in France, we saw Raahil kissing some girl at the cinema. We caught up with him after the film, it was the same story. Just like you. He was holding her hand and then Gaurav punched him in the face.'

Maahi was staring at them in disbelief. She looked around to be sure that she was back in India and not in some dream world while sleeping in Paris.

'Police came and Gaurav and Raahil were thrown in jail for few hours.'

Gaurav hugged her. She stood there, frozen. Gaurav could feel her trembling. She pulled away from him and turned her eyes towards a picture of her and Raahil, holding hands. She grabbed a vase from her bedside table and hurled it toward the picture. Her face was red with anger. Dried tears left marks on her pretty cheeks. She plopped on the floor, her face buried between her hands, and started to sob.

She never called or texted him again and the worst part was that she received none. Maahi was broken. She felt like a ship battling the stormy winds. She was grateful to God for friends like Gaurav and Natasha, her constant support. But she often felt lonely, depressed and discouraged.

She wanted to see Raahil again and ask him for answers. There were many unanswered questions. But she was not sure if she was that strong. She didn't want him to see her weak side where she was always dependent on someone to be happy. They lived in the same city, had some of the same friends, and soon her wish came true and so did her worst fear. They encountered each other at Tanya's birthday party.

He looked perfect as always. His deep brown eyes met hers. Could she see regret? She was not very sure. He was laughing and giggling with friends at a shorter distance from her. Even a sip of water could barely find its way down her throat as her wind pipe seem to suddenly constrict. But there he was, seemingly without a care in this world. Tears started to sprung in her eyes as she looked.

'Maahi, listen to me,' he approached her, trying to hold her hand as she started to move away.

'This is called harassment, even qualifies for stalking and FYI, I won't believe anything you have to say,' Maahi said and jerked her hand away.

'I did not intend to hurt you, I am really sorry, I made a terrible mistake.'

'Wow, isn't it a little late to realize that?'

'Can we atleast talk?'

'No,' and the tears that she was holding back fell from her eyes, sliding down her cheeks as she covered her face, her hands shaking. She could never trust him again.

Gaurav came over, slipped his arm around her back.

'You know,' she blurted. Her words dripping with pain. 'I always thought we were perfect, everyone warned me against you, but I never listened. And you? What did you do? You cheated on me. You proved how stupid I was!' She had to blurt it out. It was paining her. The words were buried deep within that pain and it had to be removed.

Gaurav removed his arm and stepped forward to confront Raahil.

'It's your cue to fuck off,' he said with clear certainty in his voice.

Pulling back, Maahi looked into his eyes. 'Yes, I do have feelings for you and it will take a long time for me to forget you completely, but you know what, Raahil? You are an asshole who doesn't deserve true love and affection. You did everything to push me down and hurt me when I loved you. It was your decision. You found it okay to take advantage of me... or should I say of my absence... and now I can never feel the same way about you.'