Chapter 17: Doing

Start from the beginning

Simon turned to look at Jaysen. "Thanks for charging my phone for me."

"No problem."

"Note to self," Johnny recited out loud, "I have to teach Simon to change the subject less abruptly when he's in a panic."

Ignoring Johnny, Simon carried on. "It's the weekend after the two-week training. Although I never got to finish the full two weeks, I would at least like to fulfill my promise." Simon's ears were becoming redder as he struggled to spit out the words.

"In other words," Johnny intervened, "Simon wants to go out on the date he promised you."

"Sure," Jaysen replied. "I'm already dressed. Let me go get my wallet and cell phone."

"Okay." Simon nodded at Jaysen and noticed his friends are grinning at him. "Why are you guys looking at me like that?"

"Admit it." Johnny encouraged.

"Admit what?"

"That you really like him," Timothy supplied.

"I don't believe in public displays of affection," Simon announced.

"Yet, you're fine with public displays of brightness."

"What?"

"The pajamas you had on this morning were bright enough to light up the darkest of nights."

Why does that sound so familiar? Johnny and ge are so much alike, it's kind of scary. Simon threw Johnny a surprised look. "Those are my pajamas. I don't dress like that when I go out."

"I know. I was only teasing you." Johnny smiled toothily.

Jaysen returned holding two jackets. "I'm ready."

"It's kind of hot today." Simon pointed at the extra jacket. "Why are you bringing those and why are there two of them?"

"It gets rather chilly at night. I don't want you to catch a cold."

"I'm not that weak."

"Says the person who had a fever after a hike up a mountain," Johnny taunted.

"I fell into a ditch and got rained on," Simon reminded.

"Yes, and you got sick."

"Whatever." Simon scoffed.

"It's okay. I'll throw them in the car so they would be handy when needed." Jaysen explained.

"Do as you wish," Simon muttered. "Let's go."

"You two have fun." Johnny waved at them.

"Wait. Aren't you two coming with us?" Simon questioned.

"This is not a double date. You two go ahead."

"Oh." That was Simon's reaction to Johnny's words.

"Instructor Xu, we'll leave after we do the dishes," Timothy informed. "I hope you don't mind us being here without you here."

"I don't mind." Jaysen told Timothy. "You guys are Simon's parents. I trust you."

"They are not my parents," Simon complained.

Johnny pretended not to hear Simon's protest. "We'll lock up for you when we leave. Now, go have fun. As much fun as you want, if not more."

"Simon, could we have your apartment keys?" Timothy requested.

"Here." Simon handed them to Timothy immediately. "Why do you need my keys?"

"We're going to hang out over there for the day. Why else?" Johnny shot back. "Plus, we live far away. We might as well stay at your place and play video games."

"You guys live in the building next to this one."

"Yes. That's way too far for my tired legs to walk to."

"Seriously?" Simon threw Johnny a look of suspicion.

"Of course," Johnny affirmed.

"Don't do anything I won't do. I don't like stains on my couch."

"No worries. It's not the couch that you should worry about." Johnny laughed at Simon's frightened expression.

"Not my bed either."

"What do you take us for?" Johnny huffed.

"Yeah." Timothy joined in.

"Two bunnies in heat." Simon's response made Jaysen chuckle.

"We'll try not to leave any evidence, so leave already." Johnny shooed the two toward the door. "Go!"

"Fine. Bye."

***

Timothy averted his attention away from the television to look at Johnny. "It's almost midnight. Why isn't Simon home yet?"

"He's probably having so much fun that he lost track of time." Johnny raised his arms up to stretch his cramping muscles.

"Should we call him to check if he's all right?"

"I'm sure he's fine. Instructor Xu is with him."

"I suppose." Timothy nodded. "What do you think they are doing?"

"Hopefully," Johnny smirked, "each other."