"Needs a good clean" I muttered.

Deciding to be helpful, I rubbed my hand along the bookcase, trying to wipe away some of the dust. I then moved onto the mantelpiece, cleaning the candles and the ornaments. I was about to move onto the clock when the door opened, and Dr Scott walked in, followed by Fisher, Barnes and Newham. I was surprised to see the Chief Inspector here, as we were going to see him that afternoon.

"Miss Winter, I wondered if perhaps you would be able to give us a helping hand with something" Barnes began. I nodded, and gestured for him to go on, biting my lip.

"You see, we've discovered that Harvey was poisoned by arsenic, but there's none missing from the supply in the house" the Chief Inspector explained. I frowned.

"Have you checked the chemist's shop in Orton?" I asked. Barnes nodded.

"We checked the register, and none has been bought for a month at least."

"Right" I mused.

"If you're not up for thinking about it, then you don't…" Newham began.

"Shh" I interrupted, holding up a hand.

"We can check further back in the register…" Fisher offered.

"Shh!" I repeated, waving my hand at them, and they took the hint. I screwed up my face. Where in the house could you get arsenic, from a place where nobody would notice it missing?

"Do they get mice in this house?" I asked. All four of them looked at me like I was barking mad.

"Alianna, are you sure you're alright?" Newham asked, starting towards me, but I jumped back and out of the way.

"It was a genuine question! Do they get mice in this house? Can someone find out, please?" I asked again, hopping out of Newham's reach and beginning a hunt, under the settee and in the corners of the room.

"You're not going to catch a mouse, Miss Winter! I suggest you go to bed, and I'll check you aren't coming down with something" Dr Scott said firmly, but I ran away from him as well.

"It's not the mice I'm looking for!" I replied, as I tried to push a cabinet away so I could see in the corner.

"Then what on earth are you looking for?" Barnes asked, pushing the cabinet back into place.

"I'm looking for the mousetraps poisoned with arsenic" I sighed, standing up and pouting.

There was an awkward silence, as everyone took in the significance of what I had said.

"I'll ask about the mousetraps" Barnes sighed, as he and Fisher turned to the door.

"Meanwhile, you still need to be sitting down, with someone to keep a very close eye on you" Dr Scott ordered, and I pouted again.