Chapter 2

I awoke the next morning about half past seven to hear Alice knocking at my door. I jumped up to move the chair and unlock it instantly, and she scuttled in, all smiles.

"Was it that thing you heard at dinner again, Miss Allie?" she asked politely, and I nodded, a little embarrassed.

"Don't let it get to yer, Miss Allie. Cooper sits out on the landin' till all the house's gone to bed. Yer in no danger, I can say" Alice chattered on, as she shook out my bedcovers. I was a little annoyed.  Why hadn't she mentioned that before? Still, at least tonight would be easier. Alice left, telling me that I was expected by Lady Morris in the living room in an hour, just before breakfast, to meet her son, Clive.

"Kitten'll love yer, Miss Allie, just love yer" she told me, as she shut the door. I locked it again behind her, and moved back to my suitcase, which I had left rather unceremoniously dumped at the end of my bed. If I kept my hair simple, I could unpack all my things and still make it down to the living room on time. Quickly, I set to work. Dresses were slipped on hangers and soon filled most of the wardrobe, my riding habit was folded and put in a drawer, shoes lined up neatly on the floor, and shawls, hats, coats, tights, and underwear put into appropriate places. I intended to keep neat. I picked out one of my older dresses to wear for the day, a sort of pale cream affair with faded red roses on it, my comfy shoes, and, to add a little bit of class, I slipped on a little red hat. It sat on the side of my head, and I thought it looked rather good. My hair I had put into a loose bun.

I unlocked my door and set off across the landing. I was about halfway down the stairs when I heard Harvey call me. I turned.

"Good morning, Mr. Harvey" I greeted him.

"Good morning to you too, Miss Winter" he replied courteously. "I trust you slept well?" he asked, and I could see the wickedness return to his eye.

"No thanks to yourself" I retorted. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I am supposed to meet Lady Morris in the living room before breakfast." And with that, I turned on my heel and headed back down the stairs. But Harvey wasn't finished. He slid down the banister and met me at the bottom.

"Why are you so cold this morning, Miss Winter? We were getting on so well last night at dinner. Surely I did not disturb you so much with my tales of Mr. Knight?" he asked, and there was sincerity in his voice.

"You should learn that not everyone in this house is as strong in heart as you are, Mr. Harvey. Perhaps if you understood that you would be able to…keep your acquaintances" I said bitterly. It was a lame choice of words, I knew that, but still Harvey looked surprised. I took my moment to leave, but he stepped in front of me again.

"You know I despise him as much as you do, Miss Winter. I will make sure he never approaches you again if only you'll forgive me" he reasoned. I took a deep breath and looked him in the eye.

"Alright" I agreed. "But no more stories."

"Not one" he assured me. "But" he carried on. "I'd like you to meet my lieutenant friend when he comes. We'd get along fine, the three of us. Riding, walking, tennis, the like, once his leg's better. Knight wouldn't dare come near us."

I smiled.

"Anything to get away from that creep."

Harvey smiled back.

"Come on, I'll walk you into the living room" he offered, and I accepted. We walked through the door, and Lady Morris was waiting for us, with the most angelic little boy I'd ever seen. I realized at once why he was called Kitten, his mop of curly black hair made his features strangely catlike. Big green eyes peeped out at me from behind big, black, thick-rimmed glasses, and he still had all of his baby teeth, which made his smile just captivating. He hung onto his mother's skirt, and gave me a little wave. I smiled, and nodded back to him, and he giggled. Lady Morris spoke.