"Miss Winter?"

I turned. It was the doctor.

"Good morning" he continued. "Up rather early, aren't you?"

I shrugged and waved my hand a little dismissively.

"Something woke me up about five" I lied, even though I had been up and about by four.

"What a terrible shame" the doctor said sympathetically. "As a matter of fact, Miss Winter, I was told to be up this early" he added.

"Who by?" I asked, my curiosity aroused.

"That Lieutenant" the doctor replied simply. "He seems to have it in his head that you and him are trying to solve this murder before the police."

I bit my lip, before laughing loudly as I heard Cooper's footsteps on the landing.

"As if!" I laughed, in case Cooper had overheard our conversation. "Come on, Dr Scott, we'll go and sit in the drawing room for a while, shall we? I don't know what that lieutenant's been saying!" I added, still with a casual air to my voice, but making sure Dr Scott could see in my face that I wasn't being serious.

He nodded, and we went into the drawing room, sitting down on two of the chairs by the unlit fire. Dr Scott wasn't looking too impressed.

"I never thought that the lieutenant would really bring you into this, Miss Winter" he sighed. "Personally, I don't think it's all that wise."

I raised my eyebrows, a little offended. The doctor saw my look and covered up his mistake.

"I didn't mean you wouldn't be of some help, Miss Winter, but murder is a dangerous business, and I would have to take it on myself if anything happened to you" he explained. I felt a little embarrassed.

"I read a lot of detective fiction books" I told him. "I think the lieutenant was hoping I'd be some help on the thinking aspects of the case, and leave the dangerous parts to him. Unfortunately, so far that hasn't been how it's turned out" I admitted guiltily.

"Oh? What have you been up to then, Miss Winter?" the doctor asked. I was about to reply when he door opened, and Newham slipped through it. He looked surprised to see us.

"I thought I'd be early" he smiled, coming over and sitting on a footstool. "I assume you've told Miss Winter, all we know, Doctor?" he said. Dr Scott shook his head.

"Actually, I think Miss Winter had been doing some finding out of her own" the doctor replied wickedly. Newham sighed.

"Miss Winter, I thought we had discussed this quite clearly yesterday afternoon!" he said frustratedly.

"I am not a small child!" I complained.

"Did you even stop to think what sort of trouble you might get into?" Newham chided. Dr Scott sprang to my aid.