"Miss Winter, this is my son, Clive Morris. Kitten, dear, this is your new governess, Miss Winter" she said. I bent down to the child's level.

"And what should I call you?" I asked him. He giggled and hid his face. I was patient, and kept smiling.

"Kitten" he eventually mumbled, peeping out from behind Lady Morris's dress. I nodded.

"Alright then, Kitten, my name is Miss Winter" I replied, holding out my hand, and Kitten came out from behind Lady Morris and took my hand. I shook it, and he giggled again.

"This is what you do when you meet people for the first time" I explained to him. "And you say how do you do"

"How do you do" Kitten repeated. Then, to my amazement, he walked up to Harvey and held out his hand! I looked at him, completely speechless, as Harvey took his little hand, and Kitten said "How do you do" just like he had done to me!

Lady Morris smiled at me as I stood back up.

"You'll do wonders, Miss Winter, I'm sure of that. Now, Kitten dear, how about breakfast?" she asked her son, who was still shaking Harvey's hand.

"Kitten, you have to let go at some point" I called, and he looked at me, admiration shining in his little eyes, and then toddled over, grabbed my hand, and pulled me off to the dining room, where the kitchens had laid out an excellent spread for breakfast. I sat down next to Kitten, and he insisted I had the first of the toast, and the sweet child even shouted at Harvey when he tried to take one before me. I exchanged glances with Lady Morris, and she seemed pleased that Kitten had taken to me so well. He did have a tendency for jam and toast, though. He must have eaten about five slices before I pointed out to him that nice young gentlemen who shake hands and say how do you do don't eat masses and masses of toast and jam at breakfast. Only then did he stop, but he insisted that he give me a tour of the gardens.

I didn't refuse, and he pulled me off again, out of the front door and down the drive. He then showed me the fountain and the gravel and the grass, and we spent a good few minutes throwing stones into the fountain, before I remembered my manners and quickly drew his attention to a clump of pine trees around the side of the house. There was a little clearing there, with a lovely white bench and table, and I couldn't help wishing to come there on my afternoons off, and finally getting round to finishing the latest book of the detective stories I've been reading. I love detective fiction. By a long way, they're my favorite type of book. My ideal evening always consists of snuggling down in a big comfy armchair by the fire, with my latest instalment. But unfortunately, I didn't have time to fantasize any longer, as Kitten pulled me away again, chattering about… a maze?

I was right. It appeared that a little way to the north of the house, beyond the summerhouse, there was a big, circular maze. Kitten pulled me straight into it, without hesitation, although I felt sure that at his age he had no idea where he was going.

I was right again. Soon, both of us were hopelessly, hopelessly lost, and although the maze wasn't very big around the outside there was so many passages! Kitten slowed down to walk beside me.

"Miss Winter, we're lost!" he squeaked, and his big green eyes filled with tears. I squeezed his little hand and tried to look braver than I felt.

"We are, a little, aren't we?" I agreed, and he whimpered and clung to my skirt. I patted his head and he sniffled.

"Don't leave me, Miss Winter" he pleaded, and I bent down and looked into his eyes.

"I won't, I promise" I assured him, and he smiled that little angelic grin of his, and I smiled back.

"We just need to use our heads, that's all" I said, straightening up. "Now, which way's out?"

I stood on tiptoe and tried to look over the hedges, but I wasn't tall enough. I turned to Kitten.