Salazar

Chapter 17

"It can't be." I repeated, for the millionth time.

He laughed. "I'm sorry to shock you so badly, but after seeing you in the common room, I wanted to see you in person."

The great hall was dead silent as everyone stood up and stared at our newest guest. Salazar looked around the great hall and smiled.

"1,000 years. That's how long it's been since I last walked these halls."

"But how?" I asked backing up, and taking a good look at him.

He was thin, but not overly so, and he had on emerald green robes that made Mr. Malfoy's look like paupers clothes.

"You should already know the answer to that." He said smiling, as Klaus and Elijah appeared at my side. "Hello Elijah, Niklaus. It's been a wonderful and happy evening hasn't it." He said smiling around at everyone who was still staring at him.

"Salazar?" They asked together, looking as shocked as I felt.

He laughed again. "Yes it's really me."

"You're a vampire." I said, as my mind finally started to work again.

He smiled. "An Original actually. The first to be more precise."

"But how?" Elijah asked, still staring in disbelief.

Salazar smiled at him. "Elijah, you and Niklaus, along with Rebekah, Kol, and Finn, have always, and will always be like my own children. Do you honestly believe that I would cast that spell upon you, without first trying it on myself? What if something went wrong and you died? I could have never forgiven myself."

"Rebekah, Kol, and Finn are dead." Elijah said, looking at him with sorrow in his eyes. "I'm sorry."

"A shame." Salazar said, shaking his head. "I wondered, because you all have not mentioned them since you discovered my painting."

"But how do you know everything? I mean your painting, and..." I said, trying to form words, but couldn't quite get them out.

"My painting came into being when I died, as do all paintings of wizards who have portraits made, but have you ever wondered why mine seems so much more alive? It's because I'm undead, so that makes my painting undead, for a lack of a better explanation. The reason I know everything is because I've been watching over you. I also have another portrait in my house, so if I'm not there watching you myself, my painting keeps me updated. My painting is stuck to the wall for a reason, and I was the one who put it there. Yes, it vanishes to allow you into your bedroom, but if my painting were to be removed all together, it would reveal a tunnel. That tunnel leads to my house, which, if anyone knows me is...?" He said, gesturing outward with his hands.

"Under the Black Lake." I said, staring at him. "Like half the Slytherin common room is."

"Correct." He said giving me a large smile. "But it's not the only way in or out of my house. There are others."

"But that still doesn't explain how you can see us." I said.

"It's kind of like a muggle two way mirror." He said, with a smile.

"You know of two way mirrors?" Hermione asked, and I turned around. I hadn't realized that everyone had come up behind me.

"Yes, Hermione. I do." He said with a chuckle. "I've become rather acquainted with the muggle world. I have, after all, been around for almost 1,100 years."

"You're older than Elijah!" Ron gasped. Then he shook his head. "Of course you're older than Elijah. Nevermind." And Salazar chuckled.

"But why now? How come we have never seen you before?" Snape asked.