Chapter Seventeen The Call of the Islands

I apologize for my long absence. I injured myself last year and can only now begin to type again.

In this chapter Janna doesn't know who she is and finds herself in a hospital. Hitchhiking, she ends up in Idaho where she is taken in by a kind family. She looks for work to save for a trip to Hawaii where She's sure her loved one waits for her, whoever he might be. Meanwhile Milosh, an Accursed, is still tracking her.

Chapter Seventeen

The Call of the Islands

Janna's bus stopped near a casino and everyone got off. She was still groggy and the last one to disembark.

"Is there a hospital nearby?" she asked the driver. Her head throbbed and she felt queasy. A nasty taste lingered in her mouth and a disgusting odor reeked from her.

"Straight ahead, two blocks." He pointed down the street.

Her vision was blurry, she was dizzy, and she stumbled now and then, but somehow made it to the emergency entrance.

"Can I help you?" asked the receptionist.

"My head hurts and I don't know who I am."

"Take these forms and fill them out." The nurse held up the clipboard, but no one took it. She looked around and then glanced down. The woman lay on the floor, unconscious.

Janna awoke in a hospital bed. Two policemen and a doctor were talking softly.

"Good. You're awake," said the doctor.

"Ma'am, can you tell us your name?" asked an officer.

Janna concentrated. Nothing but flashes of last night came to her. "I don't know it."

"That's a bad bump on your head," said the doctor. "You may have some memory loss. Can you think of anything at all?"

She deliberated harder. "Lots of smoke. I can still smell it. Bad taste in my mouth too. I'm on the ground. Someone's standing over me. Voices. People dragged me somewhere."

"There's a good chance you were assaulted," explained the doctor.

"Do you have any identification?" asked one of the policemen.

Janna searched for pockets, but she was in a hospital gown.

"We checked her clothes. She had a five dollar bill and two ones," answered the doctor. "Nothing else." He called for a nurse. "Show the officers her clothes."

The nurse pulled them out of a cabinet. They were grimy, her jeans had a large hole in one knee, and the sweater had small tears.

"Would you be willing to be fingerprinted and give us a DNA sample?" asked the other officer.

"Sure. Fine." Janna fell asleep oblivious to everyone in her room.

The doctor watched her with concern. "You'll have to do everything here tomorrow, officers. I doubt we'll release her, not for a couple of days."

When Janna woke again, she'd been hooked up to machines. A needle was stuck in her arm and liquid flowed slowly into her veins. It reminded her of another time that was unclear in her mind, but it frightened her. She buzzed for the nurse. "Who am I?" she asked.

"We don't know that yet. We should know by today. The police came yesterday to get a DNA sample and fingerprint you."

"Am I a criminal?"

"We don't know, hon. We don't know anything about you." The nurse fixed the blankets and her pillows.

"Where am I?"