Chapter One Final Part

Trevor has one more assignment - to hunt another Accursed vampire. He often accepts bounty hunter work and when he checks his messages in the evening, he finds one he can't resist. Little does he know that this will change his life forever.

The gaunt ashen man waited until darkness settled in the park. The last stragglers were heading towards the gate and he couldn't wait. He was thirsty. So thirsty. It'd been too long since he drank. He sighed at the sound of approaching footsteps.

A male casually drew near, his hands in his pockets. He wore a light blue shirt and khaki shorts, both impeccably clean and wrinkle free. His hiking books were brand new, with no scuffs, and tan socks folded over the tops. Of all things to wear, he carried a neon green glow-in-the-dark backpack. Around his neck hung a music player blasting Wagner's 'Ride of the Valkyries', and he whistled along in perfect pitch.

A healthy one. The boney male snatched the guy around the neck and dragged him deeper into the now deserted park. He dropped him on the ground and leered down at him. "You'll make an excellent feed. No doubt you don't believe in vampires, but that's what I am and I'm very thirsty. Do I frighten you?" He opened his mouth wide to reveal his fangs.

The response was unexpected. The man bounced up from the ground, swiped the dirt from his backside, and turned off the music.

"Not one bit. You're Efrom? I've heard you like this park. Staying in one place too long is a bad idea. I wouldn't care if you did away with all the worthless humans, but too many people have disappeared from this single spot recently. You're drawing too much attention. Don't worry, Accursed. After tonight you'll thirst no more, and we'll be rid of this embarrassing problem."

Efrom stepped back and hissed. "You're one of them!" He pointed his finger at the man accusingly.

"Yes, they sent me. We're tired of your sort not complying with our rules. You're to be eliminated."

"Your race is an aberration."

"You Accurseds are a scourge. You've stayed the same for centuries and that's your undoing. We may have similarities, but we've adapted where you haven't. You cause us too much trouble. I've ended many of you, and this night I take your life."

Efrom snarled. "Look at you. You're more human than we, the undead. In time, you'll become just like that weak race. Your abilities can't match mine. You're not strong enough to defeat me."

He grinned. "You think not? We're more powerful and resilient than you could ever know." He waved to Efrom, goading him to come to him. "Give me your best effort."

Efrom spun towards his prey, but his target was no longer there. He glanced swiftly around. A blur of neon green whirled speedier than Efrom could in a perfect circle and stopped in front of him.

"You're too slow," taunted Trevor.

"You're a Tracker?"

"I am, and I must say, a very good one at that."

"I have a right to live."

"I have orders that say differently." He kicked swiftly, striking Efrom under the jaw. The vampire struggled to regain his stand, but Trevor locked his arm around the Accursed's neck and squeezed.

"Your kicks won't kill me and you can't choke me to death." Efrom clawed at his enemy's arm, ripping the sleeve, unable to pull loose. "I want to know who my attacker is," he uttered.

"I'm Trevor Dittmar, a Halbling, and your existence ends by my hands." From his backpack he pulled out a bottle and splashed the contents over the vampire's lower body and limbs, careful to avoid getting it on himself.

Trevor jerked his arm back to hold his enemy tighter and close off the voice, giving the deadly elixir the time to work. Efrom screamed in agony, but no sound escaped as Trevor tightened his hold and obstructed the voice completely. The Accursed weakened and Trevor let go. The vampire dropped to the ground smoldering. Trevor poured more of the potion on the upper body.

Efrom shook violentlyas he slowly and painfully disintegrated, Trevor spoke, "We use potions, something your kind have no knowledge of. This one is most efficient. It's one of my favorites." He crinkled his nose at the smell as he pulled a burlap sack out of his backpack. He waited until nothing but the head remained then stuffed it in the burlap and placed the bag in the back pack. Walking nonchalantly towards the exit, he wished the gate keeper a good night and dialed Stefan to let him know the job was done.

After he dropped the head off at a local office, he went back to his hotel room. From a locked case, he took out a vial of nectar and drank. Tomorrow, he'd fly back to the Los Angeles Western Division of Trackers Office where he'd finish his statements and pick up any new assignments. He opened his laptop and clicked on his mail. A new email from a client in Nebraska offered to pay handsomely for his services.

He didn't like working on personal situations, but the pay was high so he requested details. He considered the information and frowned. His first step would be to check out a small town in the desert of Nevada, about two hours outside of Las Vegas. He'd have to coordinate this with his Los Angeles office and hope they also had a job nearby. Stefan, of course, would approve because of the bounty.

Trevor drank down a second vial and went to bed. Efrom's head had been confirmed, and he would receive another large bonus on top of the $12,000 he collected yesterday. Not bad pay for two days' work in a profession he enjoyed. He'd split the bonuses with the office like he usually did.