How Are Jellyfish Causing Major Problems?

Photo from AFP/GETTY IMAGES

Jellyfish have been a species that has caused many problems to life ashore. Let's look at how the problems first developed.

Jellyfish blooming's happen when jellyfish cluster together as one large group. But it isn't your ordinary four to six family members. As a result, these blooming's can range to hundreds, even to thousands of individuals. The cause of these overloaded families? Pollution. When our kind contaminates the seas, an unusual amount of plankton (or algae) is produced. Jellyfish on the other hand, just adore to thrive off the silky green plant. In addition, overfishing can cause jellies to live a predator-free life. Allowing them to hunt the smaller species of fish, such as sardines and anchovies. Moreover, what do these jellyfish do that causes such a big disaster?

Don't let these jellies fool you, they may seem to be a harmless, cute, floating blob of goo. But consequently, species of fish are falling in numbers. A salmon farm was raided when Mauve jellyfish broke in and killed ten-thousand salmon. Even Water Facilities are being shut down worldwide because of the surplus of jellyfish just heaping in pipes. The clusters are clogging our sources of water and causing masses of people to lose their occupations. A spokesperson from Sweden says, "The [moon jellyfish swarm] phenomenon...occurs at regular intervals on Sweden's three nuclear power plants." Dolefully, twenty to forty people die from jellyfish each year, just in the Philippines. Another very heartbreaking accident happened in Japan. A ten-ton boat overturned when the crew was trying to haul jellyfish onto the deck. Gwynn Guilford, a fellow blogger, said that the jellyfish they caught were "Nomura Jelly Fish, which could weigh up to 440 pounds each." With all these tragedies, what are some solutions to these growing problems?

In the first place, we should never, ever litter our oceans! Doing so will cause overgrown algae in the seas and kill our precious sea life. Secondly, we can limit our product of seafood. It would be for the better if we only consume it once a month or so. It will help the demand for fish to slow down. This will allow the fishermen to travel less overseas. The effect of this will allow large predator fish to feed on the Jellies. Another sorrowful solution would be killing these swarming jellyfish by hand. Yes, it will slim the overpopulation greatly.

In conclusion, we should always be mindful of not just the problems on the surface, but underneath, and deep into the ocean. We've mentioned ways to aid life below, and we hope that you will be moved to make the necessary changes.

blogOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara