Stupid heart.

Then he saw Jace with a girl. Specifically he saw Jace with his tongue down some skank's throat. It was just a few weeks into their...whatever. Simon had plans to meet up with his friends at the bar after class, but after seeing that, he just went back home. Even Maia couldn't cheer him up.

Magnus had sent him a text asking if he was OK.

Magnus always saw everything. Damn him.

Jace cornered him on his way home from class. He was cranky and tired and sad and all he wanted to do was go home and bury his sorrows in carbs, beer and sleep.

"You have been avoiding me." Jace said suddenly behind him, Simon jumped and may or may have not screamed a little. "What the hell, Jace?" he growled, hand on his chest. "Are you trying to give me a heart attack?"

"Drastic measures." The blond idiot replied, nonchalantly, falling into step with Simon. "You have been avoiding me." Jace repeated.

"No." Simon said. "I am busy. I have been busy."

"OK." Jace said. "Where are you going?"

"Jace..." Simon sighed, taking off his glasses and rubbing his eyes with his wrist. "What do you want?"

"Hey." Jace said, "What's wrong? I thought we had fun. I thought we were having fun."

Simon had had it. "Just who do you think I am, Jace? I'm not sure what's going on with you but leave me out of it, OK?"

Jace looked shocked at Simon's outburst and Simon charged on. "And in case you aren't aware, I am a fucking human being. I have feelings. You don't get to toy with me whenever you like. We fucked a few times. It was fun, but I'm done, OK? Go back to whoever you were sucking face with and leave me alone."

Jace only raised an eyebrow, cocking his head to the side. "O...K. I have no idea what you are talking about, but..."

"Really? Wow!" Simon exclaimed. "I saw you. I saw you with...with her. You guys were practically making out right there at the bar." Jace flinched. "Yeah, I saw you. I refuse to be used. Just-Just leave me alone, Jace." Simon said tiredly.

"I'm sorry." Jace said, softly.

"Me too." Simon said. "I'm gonna go. See you around." Then he walked away.

Simon didn't see Jace for a couple of weeks after that until he was woken up from sleep by someone banging at his door at 2AM in the morning.

It was Jace.

"What the hell, Wayland?" Simon growled. "Do you have any idea what...?" Jace cut him off with a hard, bruising kiss. "Shut up." He growled and pulled Simon, by the collar of his shirt towards the bedroom.

Much later, Simon lay on his back next to Jace, trying to catch his breath. In all the times he and Jace had fucked, it was never like this. He'd have bruises in the morning. "W-what the hell, Jace?"

"I couldn't stay away." Jace said; his voice breathless. "I-I have never...I don't, damn it, Simon. I really like you. And you are right, I have been an asshole."

Simon turned to look at Jace. He was staring at the ceiling as he talked.

"I don't do serious...at least I never have." Jace continued. "I know it's not fair to you, but I don't want to stop...this...with you."

"So you want to be friends with benefits?" Simon asked. "Not that we are exactly friends." Jace snorted. "But we'd just fuck whenever?"

"We're friends." Jace said in response. "And you make it sound like this is only sex."

"Isn't it?" Simon rolled his eyes. "Dude, I don't even know your birthday." Simon retorted. "And yes, this is just sex. You like me but for some reason, you don't want a relationship with me. You want me to be your dirty little secret."

"No." Jace raised himself on one elbow to look down at Simon. "Not a dirty secret. Just give me time. Can you do that?"

"Give you time to...?" Simon closed his eyes. This was Joshua Mills from summer camp all over again. "To decide if you want to be seen with me? Time to make up your mind about..." he sighed, noisily. "Boy, you have problems." He started to get out of bed and go to the bathroom.

"I don't want anyone else." Jace said forcefully. "I know I'm not gay, but I can't...I mean, I don't..."

Ah.

"OK, calm down." Simon said. "You are not out. I get it. But I'm not going to be an outlet for sex for you. If we're going to do this, we have to do it properly."

"How?" Jace frowned. "Like a relationship?"

"Like a relationship." Simon looked at his face. "Relax; I'll stay away from you in public. You want time to get out of the closet? I'll give you time. But I won't be used." Simon couldn't believe he was being all assertive and confident and shit.

It wasn't perfect, Simon was willing to take it, especially if it meant having Jace look at him the way he was looking at him right now. All disheveled and naked and pretty and...

"August 30." Jace said, suddenly. Simon blinked.

"What?"

"My birthday." Jace said, smiling.

Oh.