Chapter IX: Movie Date & Careful Kisses

It was the day after Roman's dinner date, which they discussed in great detail as they set up shop. Patton didn't have to do much convincing to get him to talk about it, just as his princely man didn't have to ask about the hot chocolate he'd shared with a certain necktie wearing someone after he'd left. It was just how their friendship worked. The morning was slow as usual until they hit the "rat race" hour. Familiar faces of people on their way to work came in and purchased their drinks to go or sat down to eat a pastry for breakfast. This was the typical way the morning worked, very busy between 7:00AM and 11:00AM and then slowing down. People would come in more for sweets and desserts after that window time.

Patton smiled at a little boy on the other side of the counter; he was with his mother, who had told him to pick out any one sweet he wanted.

"I want a cupcake!" he said loudly, pointing a double chocolate cupcake in the display.

"You wanna a cupcake? Okay! You're the boss!" he replied, smiling at the mother as he pulled out a cupcake from the display case. He heard the bell on the door jingle, but didn't see who entered as he turned to grab a handful of rainbow sprinkles. He smiled, showing the boy the cupcake. "Hey! Wanna see a magic trick?"

He nodded enthusiastically. "Okay close your eyes and think rainbow!" he told him. The boy did as he was told and while his eyes were closed, he sprinkled the little rainbow decorations onto the icing. "Whoa! Look!"

The boy gasped when he saw the cupcake. "Wow! Look mom! I'm magic!" he said as he took the cupcake from Patton.

"Yes you are dear," the mother said, smiling gratefully at the baker as she paid and led him out of the shop.

He watched them go, smiling after them. "That was really sweet of you," a familiar voice said, making him jump. He hadn't realized someone else was in the shop. Logan was smiling at him as he approached the counter, making his chest expand. "You just made his day."

"Well... I like making people smile," he said bashfully. "And I have a soft spot for kids, so it was my pleasure really. What can I get you today, Logan?"

The necktie wearing man adjusted his glasses and cleared his throat. "I wasn't here to order anything actually," he said, suddenly nervous. "I wanted to know if you were free tonight. There's a movie I thought we could go see together if you're available."

"Are you..." Patton said, staring at him in shock. "Are you asking me on a movie date?"

"Well, I-I suppose I am, I figured after yesterday you'd want to, unless I mistook what happened yesterday," he said, clearly alarmed.

The baker quickly shook his head. "No! No! I'd love to! I'm just surprised you're actually asking me," he explained with a bashful smile. He tried to contain it by biting his bottom lip, but it wasn't working. "The movie theatre around the block right? What time?"

"The film starts at 7:45, I'm planning on being there at 7:30," Logan said, looking relieved.

"Okay, I'll see you at 7:30 then," Patton said, blushing as he smiled giddily. The stoic man nodded, also smiling but clearly trying to contain it as he headed to the door and waved goodbye. As soon as he was out of sight, he ran to the back room. "Roman! I need your help!"

Three and a half hours later, he was spinning for his best friend again. He was in his typical blue polo, but wearing white jeans, a white bow tie, and a blue beanie atop his head. The barista had his hands over his mouth as he tried to hide his smile. "You look so freaking adorable," he said in a comedically angry voice. "Logan's not going to know what to do with himself."

They laughed a little as Patton pulled on his blue converse. "Wish me luck!" he said as he left their apartment.

It only took him five minutes to walk to the movie theatre, his heart hammering against his chest as he approached it. For a moment, he wondered if it had been a prank and that he'd be stood up. He then saw Logan standing around in front of the doors with two tickets in his hand and relaxed. Taking a deep breath, he smiled and approached him.

"Hey!" Patton greeted, making his head whip in his direction.

The stoic man smiled slightly, looking relieved, as if he'd had the same paranoid thoughts about being stood up. "Salutations," he returned, offering him a ticket. "The movie starts in fifteen minutes, so we've plenty of time to get popcorn or candy, whatever it is you like to eat during movies."

"Okay!" the baker said happily, pulling him by the hand into the theatre. Tingles ran up both of their arms at the contact, but they chose to ignore it and focus on getting a large popcorn, water, and a bag of M&Ms. Patton turned to him with a large smile. "Ready!"

Logan chuckled slightly, nodding as they walked towards the theater their movie was playing in. It was then that he realized he hadn't asked him what movie they were seeing, but judging by the name, he assumed it was a romantic movie.

They moved to sit somewhere near the back, not wanting to sit too close to the screen; they explained to each other that they experienced headaches when they sat close. As they sat down and waited for the movie to start, they found themselves scooting closer to each other during their conversation. They were smiling and laughing a little when the lights when down. Turning their attention to the movie, which Patton knew he was going to enjoy.

It was about an hour into the film that Logan's hand found his, making him gasp softly as their fingers intertwined. His lips curled into a small smile as he blushed. It seemed that his date was much more of a romantic than he would've assumed based on his stoic behavior, as he lifted their hands to his lips and kissed Patton's knuckles softly. He giggled just a little as he looked over at him in the dark, not really caring about the film. While it was an enjoyable movie, he was much more focused on the man seated next to him that was looking at him like he was the only person in the world at that moment.

With a look of cautious on his face, he tentatively reached out to cup the baker's cheek as he leaned in to minimize the gap between them. Patton's heart rate spiked as he saw his eyes slip down to his lips even in the darkness of the theater.

"May I?" Logan asked in a whisper, searching his gaze. He gave a slight nod and the necktie wearing man leaned forward to carefully connect their lips in a feather light kiss.

He smiled breathlessly at his date as they broke the kiss but didn't pull away from one another. They could still feel each other's shallow breaths on each other's lips as they looked into each other's eyes. Patton leaned forward to kiss him a little harder, making him gasp in surprise before kissing him back. After a moment, they pulled away with broad grins on their faces and turned their attention back to the film, their hands resting on the armrest between them with their fingers still intertwined.