38

I ride in silence to the jail downtown. I grip the steering wheel with white knuckles. I can't decide if I'm mad at him or not. It's hard to stay mad at Two-Bit, even if it is a big deal.

I park the truck and step outside. The cold autumn air hits me, and I realize how much I want to cry. It seems that's all I can do anymore... 

I quickly make my way into the police station. I tell them my name, relation, and all that. I ask if there's anyway I could bail him out. They explain everything, but I don't listen very well. Eventually, they bring him out and take the cuffs off of him. 

I start storming out the doors. Two-Bit follows, pleading with me. He stumbles a little as he makes his way to the truck.  I open the door and slam it back shut. He eventually gets in. I tap my finger on the steering wheel and take a deep breath. I notice a deep gash close to his hairline. Blood drips down to his nose. He seems unaffected by it. 

"Care to explain why you were in jail?" I ask. 

"I didn't mean to. I was so mad. I couldn't take it!" 

"What did you do?" 

"I got a letter today. They were saying I had to go to Vietnam too... Next week. I enlisted, but I didn't think I'd get picked to go. I wasn't thinking, Kaylee. I got really drunk and got in this huge bar fight. I was so mad... I- I can't go too." 

I pull out of the parking lot without a word. I'm still shaking. Two-Bit cries a little beside me. My heart breaks for him, but he knew better. Why should I feel sorry for him? 

"At least say something! I know you're mad right now! I just can't take it when you won't talk to me!" he yells desperately. 

"What do you want me to say?! Do you want me to say that everything's fine just because I bailed you out?!" 

"No! I just want you to yell at me! Yell at me for being stupid and not thinking!" 

"Well you were being stupid! What were you thinking?!" I yell. "Don't you know that having Ponyboy gone is bad enough, but you being gone would kill us inside even more?! What am I supposed to do now? Huh?"

I slam my hand down on the wheel.

"Dammit, Two-Bit! Dammit..." 

I sob out the last few words. I can't believe he's doing this. He's going too. What are we gonna do without him? What am I gonna do? Two gone...? 

I furiously wipe my tears away so I can see the road. He sniffles and tries to regain his composure. I laugh quietly. He looks at me. 

"Are we all just going crazy?" I ask. 

I pull into the driveway and get out. He follows me in the house. The lights are out, so I assume everyone went to bed. He stays on the couch, and I go in the kitchen. 

I grab a beer and take a drink. I know I shouldn't be doing this. One part of me is saying, "Think about what you're doing and who you're affecting." Another part is saying, "Screw it." 

I take another drink. Eventually it turns into a few more drinks and then a few more beers. I feel my eyelids getting heavy, and I can't keep my head up. I rest my head on the table. 

I close my eyes. All I can think about is,

"Why? Why me? What did I ever do?" 

                             ••• 

Ponyboy's POV 

I stare at the picture from our wedding day. Kaylee looks so beautiful... And Baby... She's going to be the second most beautiful girl in my life. Well, she already is.