34

"Kaylee! Kaylee, are you okay?!"

a concerned voice says quietly.

"Kaylee Vaughn !"

I sit up in the empty bed. I only see Soda coming closer to me. My sheets are lying in the floor and hanging off the bed. A couple pillows are missing but on the opposite end of the bed.

"Kaylee,are you okay?" Soda asks again. I begin to run my fingers through my hair, but I stop when I notice I'm suddenly in long sleeves.

"What?" I ask.

"You were screaming. I thought something was wrong. Why... Why are you in Ponyboy's jacket?"

The rough feel of denim is suddenly fully noticeable in the dark. I look in shock at my arms. My hands begin shaking, leading to my body trembling in Ponyboy's oversized denim jacket.

"I n-need him h-home, Soda," I mumble. Silent sobs rack my entire body. I pull my knees up to my chest in hopes to sturdy myself. I lie on my side, and Soda rubs my arm.

"Kaylee, it's okay. It'll be okay," he says, speaking softly.

He sits on the edge of the bed. I wrap my arms around him, and he reluctantly hugs me back. Probably in fear Ponyboy would nag at him for messing with me, but then again, he trusts me and Soda. Soda sits there with me, hugging me and calming me down. I don't know what it is about Sodapop, but he can calm almost anybody down. It's something about the feelings he gives off. It comforts.

"Kaylee, we miss him too," he says.

"But I can't be alone anymore."

"But you're not! This house is full of people. You've got Baby too. She's like him, ain't she?"

"I guess so," I answer, shrugging the jacket off.

"You want me to sleep in here or something?"

I shake my head yes.

I hear Baby crying from her room.

"You go on back to bed I'll go take care of her and then I'll be back soon," he tells me.

He starts to walk to the door as I lay back down on the bed.

"And Soda," I whisper, and he stops and turns around, "thank you."

"Anything for you."

I smile

I wake up to soda with his arm wrapped around me. I did not want to wake him up so I slowly got and headed down stairs

I go into the living room and seen dally watching tv so I joined in. The volume is on really low, almost inaudible, and some weird movie's on.

"Dally?" I whisper.

"Hmm? What?" he asks.

"Were you asleep?" He sits up a little more.

"A little."

"I'm sorry i could not sleep anymore so I just got up."I tell him.

"Why don't you do something to occupy yourself? Read a book or something."

"I've read a lot of them," I reply.

He sighs and kicks off his boots.

"Draw something. You're good at that stuff, right?" I think for a moment before getting an inspiration.

"I don't have any paint or stuff like that..."

"You can get you some in the morning, okay? I'm gonna go to sleep since it's four in the morning. You should try to at least. You'll regret it. Goodnight, Kaylee."